• seven •

Song: Ghost of Mine - Kailee Morgue (A/N: This song is my current obsession)

"I know what you're doing."

I didn't look up from the book in front of me as I read.

"You don't fool me."

I tried to hide my annoyance but failed. "You're absolutely right." Sarcasm laced every word. I sighed as I flipped the page of the book in my hands. "I want to fool you, Asmo. Nothing makes me happier."

He chuckled. A deep, quiet laugh in the back of his throat. "You've kept busy."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "How observant."

I felt him shift in the chair next to me. "Does this have anything to do with the Lord of Skryen?"

I slapped the book in my hands closed. It echoed loudly in the empty room. I moved from the large table we sat at. "Have the Guard find me when-" I stopped as I walked away.

What were we waiting for? When did I make it to the Underworld?

I'd been avoiding as much as I could for weeks. I had dived into my school work as much as I could so I didn't have to go to the Underworld at all if possible.

I looked around the room. I recognized it. It was the room I had first met the Council of the Underworld. The large ebony table was as I remembered it. A large fire crackled in the far wall of the room and the daylight from the large windows illuminated the ominous space.

But something was... off.

Shadows seemed to creep in every corner of the room. Daylight streamed into the windows but it shouldn't have been so dark. It was as if rainclouds had crowded the sky but when I looked, there was none. It was clear like a summer day.

Asmo laughed as he stood from the table. "You're queen, Emylin. You can't play favorites with the lords and ladies."

I snorted but it came out as a wheeze. "That's not what's happening at all."

Asmo didn't look convinced. "You're looking for a Consort. You need someone impartial."

I frowned to myself. Consort? I wasn't looking for a Consort. I was perfectly fine on my own.

"You need someone to help you with this burden. Someone experienced."

I shook my head. "Gods, what are you, Asmo? Tinder?"

A handsome smile touched his lips. "I mean me, darling."

I was at a loss for words and he took the opportunity to walk over to me from the table. He moved like a cat. Every step deliberate, smooth like a stalker to his prey.

Panic gripped me immediately but as soon as it appeared, it was gone. Like it was never there to begin with.

Maybe it hadn't been.

Panic? Did I feel panic around Asmo? That couldn't be true. He was the only one I could trust, the only one who hadn't lied to me or kept secrets from me.

I felt rooted to the spot as he reached me. "It didn't work with Damien but he didn't deserve you." His hand reached for my hair. "Let me help you, Emylin." His eyes moved from my lips to my eyes. "I can help you."