• fifteen •

//Song: We Have It All - Pim Stones

I skipped breakfast. I wasn't sure if it was still happening or not but I didn't want to face Damien or Asmo. Not after what happened.

Instead, I made my way back to my room and showered. I scrubbed my face free of makeup in the shower and tried to glamour my hair to its natural color. It didn't matter how many times I tried, it wouldn't change. It stayed a deep, inky black.

Giving up, I changed into a large T-shirt and jeans. I balled the dress up in my hands and threw it in the furthest corner of the closet possible. I gave the tiara I had on to one of the guards, asking it to be locked away in the vault with the others.

As soon as that was all done, I sat on the edge of the bed and watched my phone. I half expected a message from Damien but received none.

I rubbed my face with my hands in frustration. I had no right to be upset with Damien. He did stop me from doing something I would regret. I had lied when I said I could control it. I wasn't controlling anything. I had given myself up to the magic of the throne and the magic that thirsted for revenge —and indulged in it. I loved it.

It embraced me like I was being welcomed home. Dark magic accepted me as it's queen.

And if only for that, I wouldn't apologize.

I shook my head, trying to rid my head of the thoughts. I accepted it then but now? It terrified me. What did it mean?

My thoughts went to the Light fae lying in rest somewhere downstairs. I sighed heavily. I needed to see him.

I pocketed my phone before leaving my room.

It didn't take me long to find someone that pointed me in the right direction and took me to where the Light faerie lay. The room was small with large windows that were covered by black screens. They stifled the sunlight and made the room gloomier than I would have preferred.

I felt my nerves on end as I approached his body at the other end of the room. My nerves tingled as I approached his body. They had wrapped him in white bandages from head to toe with his arms crossed over his chest. I sighed as I sat on the bench nearest to his body. I put my feet on the bench close to me, hugging my knees to my chest.

As I stared at his body, the sinking feeling of being alone came back. I wondered who he was, how he was able to escape the extermination of our kind and if I had somehow known him in my past life. Did he have siblings? Children? A wife?

"In the centuries I've been around, I don't think I've ever been stood up before."

Despite what I was thinking earlier, I found myself laughing at Julian's words.

"For breakfast, no less. Usually, I'm the one that doesn't stay for breakfast."

I sighed, slightly tired. "I was...busy with some people in the throne room." I shook my head. "If it's the first in centuries, Julian, I'm honored. Someone has to show you how it feels."

I heard him chuckle as he approached. "You are many firsts for me, Emylin, I will give you that." He stopped when reached the bench I was sitting in. When I looked up at him, he had his arms crossed in front of him, looking at the man's wrapped body. "Do you know anything about him?"

I shook my head, placing my chin on my knees as I looked at the man. "No. Not a thing. He said something at first but I couldn't understand him. He lived in a cabin, alone in the woods. There was the girl there too." I shrugged. "I don't know anything about that though."

"Hmm," he touched his chin as if deep in thought. "There was something about him. I don't know what it is but I never felt a Light fae's death before."

I smiled sadly. "He was the last man. Well," I looked at Julian. "Last pureblood man." I swallowed. "My Magic's been itching for revenge ever since he died. It's like it knows it won't be able to survive for long."