Chapter One: The Calm Before the Storm

(Author's Note: I don't own Hetalia or the picture, of course! Hetalia belongs to Hidekaz Himaruya ^-^)

Time: 7:00 pm on Saturday Night

Point of View: Third Person

Knock! Knock!

A shy violet-eyed blonde with the strangest curl extending from his hair looks towards the home's front door from his spot in the home's small kitchen. This is Matthew Williams, an Ace of Spades with a shy exterior and a strong interior.

"It's not locked," he states to the visitor on the other side of the front door just loud enough to be heard.

The moment Matthew stops speaking the front door opens gently and someone walks into the home before closing the front door behind them. Matthew blinks at the tall azure-eyed man with golden hair and a tanned complexion now standing in the home's living room. This man is Alfred F. Jones, a Knight of Spades with the brave intelligence to match his title.

"Alfred?" Matthew asks simply.

"Not enough," his blue-eyed brother answers.

"But the meeting is tomorrow and we need to bring the Queen enough..." The Ace whispers, frowning.

"I know," the knight answers softly before adding, "do you think we could ask the Jack and the Queen for more time?"

Matthew stays silent and resumes monitoring the pancakes he had been making before his brother's arrival.

"Mattie, what do you know about the jack?" Alfred asks, the ace glances at him.

"Don't all the knights work for the jack? Wouldn't you know more than me?" Matthew questions.

"I've never seen him..." Alfred admits before adding, "I've also never seen the queen."

"Yet you would die for both...." Matthew sighs, flipping a pancake onto the already large stack to his left.

"What do you know?" Alfred asks again, finally walking toward the kitchen table to sit next to his brother's polar bear cub friend Kumajiro.

"The jack is a caring but serious man that can sometimes turn into a mother hen around those he is close to, or, at least, that's what I've read." Matthew says, looking over his hoodie-clad shoulder at Alfred before adding, "I've also read that his spades mark is on his lower back but I don't know if that's true or not and I'm equally unsure on how the author got that information to begin with..."

"Oh really? Who was the author?" The blue-eyed man asks as he watches his brother turn off the stove.

"If I remember correctly, the Queen of Hearts, Kiku Honda," the violet-eyed ace responds while dividing up the pancakes between three plates.

"Oh~?" Alfred says, cracking a grin as he adds, "The photographer queen~?"

Matthew swats at his brother's head half-heartedly with his free hand upon reaching the kitchen table. He sets the topmost plate in front of Kumajiro before setting the second plate in front of his still-grinning brother.

"So, what should we do about the shortage of gifts?" Matthew asks as he sits down to Alfred's left with the maple syrup.

"I don't really know...." Alfred whispers, sounding somewhat embarrassed.

"Hmmm," Matthew murmurs, putting a generous amount of maple syrup on his pancakes.

"I could offer a deal to the queen..." Alfred suggests, Matthew goes pale and Alfred adds, "my heart and my name will stay out of the deal."