XXIV - What Do We Do Now?

I was in absolute shock. He is out of his mind. Everyone in the pack, even me, knew that Samuel and his father were best friends. How could he just kill him because he didn't agree with him? 

This was terrible. Without Elder Cornelius around, I wasn't sure what was going to happen now. 

Rafael and I decided to go out anyways because I more than needed the distraction after what we just saw. 

Genevieve's screams were ever present in my mind, and I knew they would be for a while. 

"Rafael, what's going to happen now?" 

We were walking around the furniture store looking at new bedroom suits. There were a few we found that we both liked, but others? Not so much. 

"I'm not sure, babe. But I have a feeling the pack is going to go down the drain. In a mere five minutes, Samuel destroyed everything his father worked to build in the years he was Alpha." 

I knew he was going to say it, but I didn't want to hear it. I didn't want to hear that everything was going to change now. Just when I thought everything was perfect, all of it went to shit, of course. 

There was no one to be seen in town but the store employees and Rafael and me. 

The tension in town was so thick you could cut it with a knife. What had been a beautiful day, had quickly turned into dark storm clouds and booming thunder. It was like mother nature understood what was happening, and was angry about it. 

I couldn't help but feel like this was my fault, and it mostly was. If I had never been given two mates, if I had never rejected him, this would have never happened. 

"What's on your mind, babe? Other than the obvious." 

"I'm blaming myself. If it wasn't for me, this would have never happened. If I had just gone around that alley like my brain and body was screaming at me today, we wouldn't be in this fucking situation. Cornelius' blood is on my hands. It's my fault his son has gone off the wall, and it's my fault his son took his life this morning." 

"Deirdra, listen to me. This is not your fault. Wolves get rejected every day and don't turn into murderous drunks. If you had gone around and not been bitten, you wouldn't be here with me. I would have never found my mate, and I wouldn't have you. You can't blame this on yourself. No one is blaming you. None of this is your fault, and Elder Cornelius' death is not your fault either." 

His words took away the feelings of guilt only minimally. I wanted to believe him, but I couldn't. It felt like my fault, and I was going to do whatever I could to fix it. 

"Can we just go home? We agreed on a few, you can pick it and let's go home." 

"Of course, babe. Your favorite was the gray/brown one right?"

"Yeah, I liked that one." 

"Okay, that's the one then. Why don't you go across the street to that little pub and I'll meet you after and we can have a drink." 

That sounded like a plan to me, a drink sounded perfect right now. 

I gave him a swift kiss and walked out of the store while he went to the front to get everything squared away for the set and the mattresses. 

The temperature outside was dropping and the wind was whipping wildly. I'm wishing we had the car now, knowing it was more than likely going to rain on us on the way home. 

I walked into the bar and was surprised to find Brittany behind the bar.

"Hey, sister sister, what's up?"