"We all did," she replied, then covered her mouth with her hand as if she'd said something that was supposed to have remained secret.  

"All?" Rowan asked just before a tap on her shoulder forced her to instinctively swing around with her hands up protectively.  

"Whoa!" a surprised voice yelped, "Geez, Rowan, don't break the glasses, they're new!" Her eyes focused on hazel ones just behind her, covered by circular glasses.  

"James?" she wondered allowed, then looking behind him at two other boys, one tall and lanky, the other short and stout. "Peter and Remus? What are you all doing here?"  

"My mum and your aunt both think it would be a good idea if I stayed here for a night," James explained, "You know, because you haven't seen us in so long."  

"It really has been a long time," she said, "The last time I saw you, you were still fifteen."  

"You remembered," he noted, adjusting his glasses so they didn't dangle off the tip of his nose.  

"How could I forget?" she asked, smiling kindly. Gazing around him at Remus, she said, "I haven't forgotten your birthday either."  

"The real question," he said, "Is whether you remembered what tomorrow is."  

She thought for a second, squinting her eyes, deep in thought, then gasped, her eyes suddenly doubling in size, and said, "The full moon!"  

He smiled sadly at her, nodded, and said, "Which is why I hope you understand that I can't stay tonight like everybody else-"  

"No, no!" she exclaimed, "It's fine! I understand completely. I'm just so sorry you won't have anybody to be with-"  

"He will!" Peter squeaked from beside him (his voice not having changed yet), "I'll be with him!"  

She stared at him like he'd gone insane. "But you're a rat," she said, "You won't be able to control a fully transformed, fully grown werewolf."  

"I can try," Peter insisted.  

She looked unsure, but at that moment Sirius walked right behind him and said, "If he needs anything, any help at all, he knows exactly where to look."  

Rowan smiled, before turned excitedly back to Lily and said, "Come on, I'll show you around. You'll just love the house, it's so open and roomy...sort of empty, but it's still really great." She took her arm and dragged her through the backdoor, laughing and beaming. Before going inside, she turned around and said to the boys, "You know I was inviting you, too, right?"  

"We're going to see Wormtail and Moony off," James explained, "We'll meet you in a few."  

She shrugged and closed the screen door with a loud bang.  

"Wow," Sirius breathed, "To think I thought I'd never see her happy again."  

"You weren't the only one, mate," James reminded, "We all thought she'd be sad for the rest of her life. I'm amazed she got over it so fast. It's only been a couple months..."  

"I don't know," Sirius muttered, "I don't think she's really okay."  

"What makes you say that?" Remus inquired, "She looks like she's feeling normal again."  

"That's right," Sirius said, "She looks like she's normal. But I'd be willing to bet she's still having nightmares."  

They were all silent as they stared at him.  

Finally, Peter whispered, "You mean the nightmare?"  

Sirius nodded, his arms crossed, peering expressionlessly at the backdoor, as if trying to figure out if somebody was hiding behind it, listening to every single word.