Chapter 13

Sirius was right. It was the shortest letter he'd ever written to her. She didn't mind though, she spent most of her time sitting on her bed, staring out the window, thinking about that nightmare that she continued to have of Tom Riddle trying to persuade her to commit suicide. It took up more of her time than she would've thought, considering there was so much to think about.  

So very, very much.  

Suddenly, a small body pounced on her from the back, making a loud, yapping noise in her ear.  

"Hera!" she giggled, reaching onto her head where the two-month old puppy sat, trying to keep its balance. Taking the snow-white dog down, she held her in front of her and asked in a baby voice, "Do you need to go out?"  

Hera yapped again.  

"I thought so," she said, placing the puppy on the ground and climbing off of the windowsill, just as she heard the doorbell ring.  

"Come on, girl," she cooed, hurrying out the door, the dog's claws clicking on the hardwood floor as it followed behind her. The small puppy barked and sped up, running through her legs and down the stairs, out the small dog door.  

"Oh, geez," she muttered, rushing down the stairs after Hera. At the door, she swung it open, eyeing the dog, jumping up onto long, jean-clad legs. She reached down and took her by the bright red bandana around her neck, pulled her into her arms, and apologized without looking at the person, "I'm so sorry, she gets overly excited sometimes." She bent down and let the dog go. Hera barked excitedly before taking a sharp left around the house and disappearing from view.  

"That's okay," a familiar voice said, "I love dogs."  

That's when she looked up at the boy standing at her doorstep, lounging lazily, his rough hands in the pockets of his jeans, wearing a white T-shirt. He had a mass of short, pitch black hair and pale grey eyes staring at her mischievously.  

"Sirius!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms around his neck, feeling his arms wrap around her waist. "What are you doing here?"  

"It's nice to see you, too," he said, "I got in contact with your aunt the Muggle way, or at least I made a sort of okay attempt; I had Pluto leave the letters at your doorstep and then when she'd write back he'd just take it out of the mailbox."  

"You'd think I'd have noticed," she muttered, pushing away from him, only to be pulled back, his lips on hers.  

She didn't realize how much she'd missed him, his touch, his kisses until she finally had them back. That was at least one good thing she had from her "old life" that would never go away.  

"Aw, look at the cute dog!" another familiar voice yelled from around the house.  

Rowan pulled away again, confused. "Did I just hear...?"  

"Why don't you go look...?" he responded, letting go of her.  

She eyed him quizzically before stepping around him, turned left and disappeared around the side of the house.  

The first thing she saw was Hera, small and harmless, excitedly jumping up onto the jean-clad legs of a girl who was bending over and petting the dog enthusiastically, wearing a pink sweater, with dark red, thick hair. She looked up at Rowan with brilliant green, almond-shaped eyes and practically shrieked, "Rowan!"  

"Lily!" Rowan screamed, racing to her friend, who stood up, and embracing her. After pulling away, she looked at her and said, "You're here!"  

"I'm here!"  

"I can't believe it!"  

"Me neither!"  

"Did you talk with my aunt too?"