Chapter 9

EMBERLY'S POV

My head is killing me and I feel really groggy. I'm waiting on Dr. Biersack. There's a quiet rap on the door. I look up to see a gorgeous man walking in. He has startling blue eyes and gorgeous black hair. He has tattoos on his arms and neck, and his face is angular. I'm confused. I thought my doctor was coming to see me.

     "Who are you?" I croak. This beautiful man before me just chuckles.

     "Do you not remember me Em?" His voice is deep and melodic.

     "No. I'm sorry." I admit.

     "I'm Dr. Biersack." My jaw drops.

     "Oh, right." Is all I manage.

     "How are you feeling?" He comes over, his stethoscope at the ready.

      "My head hurts and I'm nauseated. I feel really groggy." He puts the cold disk on my chest, instructing me to take deep breaths as he moves it around. Then, he helps me sit up and repeats the action on my back.

     "Well, that's normal. The confusion and memory loss should get better. Would you like me to get you some meds for the headache and nausea?" He asks. I nod gratefully. He leaves, returning minutes later with some pills and a plastic cup of water. He hands me both and I quickly down the pills, following them with with the water. He begins to leave and I panic.

      "Wait don't leave! Please I can't be alone." I beg. He turns and smiles. "Lay down with me." I say, shocking myself.

     "That's not appropriate, Miss Vace." He rejects me, and I feel humiliated tears start to spill.

      "Fine. Just get out." I snarl. His face contorts in pain.

     "As you wish. Just let me hook you up to the vitals monitor." His voice is cold. I allow him to hook me up to the monitors. He leaves as soon as he's done, leaving me alone. I close my eyes, trying to sleep. I'm restless an hour later. I can't seem to fall asleep.

The pain hits me out of nowhere. My chest tightens and I feel like I can't breathe. My mind is racing, as if I'm reliving every bad memory. My rapist's face is clear in my mind. Tears are streaming down my face, but I'm paralyzed. My back arches off the bed, the tightness in my chest bursting into burning pain. The scream that escapes my mouth is ungodly.

I can't breathe.
Oh god.
Oh god.
Oh god.

Then, I'm surrounded by figures blurred by my tears. Someone lifts me into their arms, cradling me as they sit on my bed. I still can't breathe.

     "Emberly, can you hear me?" It's Dr. Biersack's voice that breaks through.

     "I...can't...breathe." I manage to gasp out between sobs.

     "Let's get some oxygen in here for her, please." I hear his command. Moments later, he presses a mask to my face and rocks me slowly. "Take some deep breaths for me, Em."

I do as I'm told, my body occasionally shaking with a sob. Slowly, I begin to calm as the panic attack subsides. Once I'm able to focus, I see that my room is full of orderlies and doctors, all wearing the same concerned expression. Dr. Biersack dismisses them and I'm alone with him.

     "Why are you here?" I ask coldly.

      "We we're monitoring your vitals from the nurses station. Your heart rate jumped from around 65 beats per minute to over 120 beats per minute in a matter of seconds. The panic attack explains why that happened but you scared us." He tells me.

     "Why do you even care? I'm just another case to you. I don't fucking matter. Just let me kill myself." I snap, remembering his rejection from earlier.

     "Oh Em." He says sadly. "You're so much more than a case to me. I'm sorry for earlier, but I was scared. I've never felt this way about someone, especially someone who-."

      "Who is mentally unstable and suicidal?" I interrupt.

     "Someone who is under my care. Someone who has been through so much." He corrects me.

     "I don't get it." I inform him.

     "Em, you're special. You're a fighter. I'm scared that I'm not good enough for you." I'm shocked at his words.

     "You forget, I'm a long term patient in a psych ward. I put the hot in psychotic." He chuckles at my comments.

     "You definitely put the hot in something." He grins cheekily. I snort. I pull the mask off my face.

      "I'm sorry. I know that I'm your patient, and you're my doctor. But you're the first person to make me this happy in my life." I confess. I feel his lips press to my forehead.

     "You make me so happy Emberly Vace. I promise I'm going to help you get better." I bury my face into his chest, breathing in his scent.

     "How many more treatments do I have to have?" I ask, awkwardly changing the subject.

     "You have two more this week and three next week. After that, I'll reevaluate you and we'll go from there." He promises. I groan.

     "I don't like the way I feel after." I tell him.

     "I know sweetie. But I need you to cooperate for me. Can you do that?" I nod reluctantly. "Good girl. Now, why don't you get some sleep?" He says. I realize I'm exhausted. He helps me get situated under my blankets.

     "Andy," I call him. He turns and looks at me. I take a breath, knowing my next words could have a bad effect. "Come lay down with me?" I ask. To my surprise, he removes his shoes and lays down by me, holding me until I fall asleep.