21: Sleep Reading

''There isn't a single thing in here about mermaids!'' (Y/N) yelled, mostly at herself; Amorita wasn't even phased at this point. She stayed asleep on her lap. 

''And here I was, thinking Newt Scamander knew everything! Apparently everything isn't in this damn boo—''

''(Y/N), you're yelling.''

A familiarly smug face was looking down on her, and soon enough, Draco was next to his now girlfriend, his arms around her waist as she continued to sigh. 

''Sorry, it's just...I'm not too good on mermaids, and I'm so used to turning to my old friend Scamander at this point...'' 

A gentle chuckle emerged from Draco; he'd partially forgotten about (Y/N)'s seemingly unending knowledge on magical creatures. She used to be absolutely obsessed with the things as a child...''Mackled Malaclaws...aha! Merpeople!''

Her (E/C) eyes flashed intently over the paragraph or so long section, obviously excited to find whatever she was looking for; but it appeared to not be there, as she threw the book to the floor in anguish, moaning, ''There's nothing on how to fight them...'' and then she hastily added, ''Not that I want these creatures to be attacked! They can be, uh, beautiful too, and...'' 

She'd been distracted by those grey eyes again.

Was she talking about mermaids or Draco now?

''Why do you care so much about this anyway, (Y/N)?'' Asked Draco, breaking the silence. ''Harry says the second trial involves mermaids, and I'm...well, the best person to ask about magical creatures, second only to perhaps Hagrid, but...''

She trailed off. 

She seriously couldn't concentrate with Draco's stupid, beautiful face right next to her!

''Stop worrying about Saint Potter's problems! It's obviously stressing you out!''

Draco was met with a slightly anger-laced look; damn, she was good at subtlety. 

''Look, prince Malfoy, I happen to kind of want Harry to live through this. Unless you want to be the chosen one instead?'' 

Draco couldn't help but smirk at this; a few days without (Y/N)'s easily provoked sarcastic comments were a few days too many. And there he was thinking she'd stop making them because they were together.

''I'd be the chosen one if it meant you'd spend this long doing everything you can for me...''

It took (Y/N) a second to work out what he meant by this, but then she went bright red.

 ''Oh my stars, no! I'm not Pansy!'' 

That comment kind of just fell out of her mouth; but it was enough to make Draco laugh, which was...wow.

He was so cute.

What on Earth did she do to deserve him?

She snapped the book she'd just picked up book closed with a start, fussing over whether or not she'd cracked the spine, and then went to go back to her dorm room. Isabel wasn't in (she was apparently having some weird meetup with Ben and his friends), and she was fairly sure it was only Gryffindor who'd gone as far as to put the slide charm on the stairs (Glisseo; she, in fact, had it on her own bedroom staircase too, to stop intruders), so it would probably be safe to...

''Hey, uh, I'm kind of sick of reading about this alone. You can come into my dorm room if you want and—'' 

Draco was up the stairs quicker than you could say 'merpeople'. 

When she opened the door, she immediately sighed; both beds were unmade, and stupid little notes sent by Ron when neither of them could sleep lay strewn all over the bedside table.