chapter twenty two

"Hey you, did you have a good New Year's?" Vic asks wrapping his arm around my waist and guiding me into the living room.

"I'm still grounded so not great." I shrug.

"I'm sorry." he frowns.

"It's okay." I chirp. "It's my favorite day of the week."

"Mine too." he smiles as he sits on the sofa.

I stay standing though.

"Can we maybe go into another room?" I ask. "Don't really want to think about therapy today."

Vic frowns but nods. He takes my hand and leads me into the kitchen.

"What don't you like about therapy?" he asks.

"I don't know. It still makes me uncomfortable, just the invasiveness about it. And I guess it's just an hour of talking about negative shit and it's draining." I admit.

"Well we can talk about positive stuff too." he says.

"I know. But the only positive thing in my life is you and it's unprofessional to talk about our relationship." I shrug.

"Surely I'm not the only positive thing." he frowns.

"You are." I smile sadly.

He pulls out a chair at the kitchen table so I take a seat.

"Can I get you anything?" he asks.

"Do you have snacks?" I ask hopefully.

"Sure, what do you feel like?" he chuckles.

"Popcorn!" I exclaim.

"Popcorn is a movie food." he says as he searching through his pantry.

"Popcorn is good for any occasion." I say matter-of-factly.

He chuckles as he puts the popcorn in the microwave. He leans against the counter, watching me, a fond smirk on his face as he does so. I bite my lip as I stare back at him and notice that he's dressed more casually than usual. He's just wearing some washed blue jeans and a white T-shirt. I like seeing this version of him that isn't so uptight.

I suddenly realize something.

"We haven't kissed today." I point out.

"What are you still doing over there then?" he chuckles.

I quickly get up and bounce over to him. I grin as I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him. He turns us around so he has me pinned against the counter. I slide my tongue into his mouth and his hands go to my hips. He lifts me up suddenly and sits on me of the countertop so he's positioned between my legs. I giggle as I lean down and kiss him again. I hear the microwave go off but neither of us seem to care. His tongue moves with mine, but subtly so there's not a gross amount of saliva. I've kissed a lot of guys but Vic is a really great kisser.

I hear someone starting to slow clap. Vic pulls away and I look up, seeing Mike standing at the doorway.

"I knew you'd loosen up eventually." he grins at Vic.

Vic drops his hands from my hips and steps away from me, scratching the back of his neck, awkwardly.

"I told you to knock. What do you want?" he asks Mike coldly.

"Mama said she left her cardigan here the other day and she needs it for dinner tonight. She sent me over to get it." Mike explains.

"Oh, right. I washed it. I think it's still in the dryer." Vic says. "And tell her to stop sending you here."