chapter twelve

"Kellin! Come on, I'm leaving now!" I hear Mom call and I groan but roll off my bed.

I slide on my shoes, grumbling under my breath as I do so.

"Kellin Quinn!" She yells.

"I'm coming! Fucking hell." I yell, mumbling the last part.

I stand up and leave my room then I go downstairs.

"This is ridiculous." I huff to my mother who's waiting at the front door for me.

"You need to leave the house, Kiddo." She says and I groan.

"I've tried. You wont let me, remember?" I repeat the point I've been trying to make all day.

"Well I cant trust you to go off by yourself. We'll go shopping, it'll be fun! Don't you want to spend some time with me?" Mom whines.

"No." I grumble.

She sighs and rolls her eyes.

"Just get in the car." She mumbles, opening the door.

I stomp my way to the car like a little child throwing a tantrum. She gets in the car and we head to the mall.

"How are your therapy sessions coming along? Only a few more weeks and you'll hopefully be back at school." She says.

"Fine." I mutter.

"Come on, Kells. Give me more than that. What do you discuss with Dr. Fuentes?" She asks, seeming horribly nosey.

"That's confidential." I tell her and she sighs again.

"Okay, don't talk to me. God forbid I show an interest in my son's life." She huffs.

"What life? I go to therapy, I come home. That's all I do! You wont let me have a life!" I shout.

She glares at me momentarily and I know that if I don't drop this soon, she's going to make today very unpleasant.

"That's because your idea of a life is having sex with older men you don't even know." She snaps.

"Mom, we've been through this. I don't have sex with them." I groan.

"That's a lie and you know it." she sighs and I roll my eyes.

"You never believe anything I say." I mutter.

I see a quick flash of hurt and sadness in her eyes.

"I'm sorry." She whispers sadly which confuses me. The sudden change in demeanour makes me question if we're even discussing the same thing anymore. "Lets just try to have a nice day, yeah?"

I take her drop in mood as my cue to back down. I nod and stare out of the window for the rest of the car ride.

The entire day is spent with me, an eighteen year old boy, following my mom through clothing stores while she tries on clothes.

I rest my head on the window of the store, drawing in the condensation of my breath while I wait for Mom to leave the changing room and ask me how she looks, again. But as I wipe away the fifth noose I've drawn on shop windows today, I spot a small icecream store just a few shops away. I get a sudden craving for double fudge chocolate icecream, which is my favorite.

"Mom," I call.

"What is it, Kells?" She asks as I hear her struggling with a zip.

"Can I go get some ice-cream? There's a shop just a few stores down." I ask pleadingly.

"Okay, but come straight back, okay?" She says warningly.

I jump off the chair and rush out of the store, excited that I can be away from her for just a few minutes. I get in the back of the cue waiting to be served and someone joins the cue behind me.