Chapter 38

I stand up a moment later, gun in hand. I had to make a quick decision, from everything Jaime had just relayed to me, I had no choice but to act soon.  

The execution, after all, could be hours away, or it could be sooner. 

I look at the gun and twirl it around in a shaky hand. When the barrel faces me I let out a yelp as the ring on my finger heats up to the point it stings my skin and I drop the gun to the ground with a clatter.  

I hear a step fall closer to the door from the outside and I quickly kick the gun so it slides under the bed.  

The door swings open a moment later and one of the guards step into the room, suspicion written all over his face.  

"Is everything alright?" He asks, and I realise I'm still gripping my finger where the ring was super hot. 

I nod. 

"Y-yes," I lie, "I just tripped and hit my hand against the - the wardrobe," I explain, as the wardrobe is the closest piece of furniture next to me. Just to my right, "What can I say? I'm a cluts." The guard nods and when I look over his shoulder I notice the other guard is gone, he must have escorted Jaime out of the hotel building.  

I hope she is alright.  

The guard is about to step out of the room but pauses. 

"I'm going to have to search you and make sure she didn't give you a weapon," he says, stepping further into the room. 

"Why would she do that?" I say a bit too panicky, "She is just my high school friend, she came to visit me after I haven't seen her for so long," The guard stops in the middle of the room and motions for me to come closer. 

"It'll only take a second," he explains.  

I decide I better co-operate but before I take a step forward, a black robed figure slips into the room. I see a glance of a masculine face I recognise. And dark, luscious black hair... 

Before the guard can turn to look at who I just spotted enter the room, a sword is plunged straight through the guards' torso and I gulp back a scream.  

My ring is cool against my skin now, so I assume I am in no danger. However, I can't stop the rush of adrenaline that causes me to shake as the sword is pulled out of the guard and the guard drops lifeless, to the ground. In his place I see the robed figure, with the hood pulled up.  

Darrius? 

Wasn't he a little taller? 

My heart skips a beat.  

"Come with me," the masculine voice is certainly similar to Darrius', but it is not Darrius. It's much deeper.  

When I do not immediately respond, the robed Darrius-look-alike stalks up to me impatiently and grabs my arm. 

"Who are you?" I ask, refusing to move until I know who is trying to rescue me. The robed figure sighs a very annoyed sigh and takes his hand from the hilt of his sword at his belt and pulls back his hood for me to see his face properly. 

I stare, intrigued, into dark blue glossy eyes, and the hair... 

"Are you related to Darrius?" I ask him. 

"He hasn't mentioned me?" He asks me with a note of irritation in his tone. I immediately sense this guy's attitude is probably ten times worse than Darrius', "I am prince Xavier, first in line to take the throne. Now don't ask any more questions, I don't have time to settle your fears. You must trust me. Come on," I just gape at him in response.  

Darrius had an older brother? Obviously one that didn't live at the palace.  

"I have to get my gun first," I say quickly, coming to terms with the fact we didn't have much time left before the other guard returned. 

He raises a mocking eyebrow at me, like he couldn't believe I'd have a weapon. I ignore the arrogant gesture and go to the side of the bed when he releases my arm. I reach under and stand back up with the gun in hand, careful to keep it pointed away from me.  

"Do not use it unless it is absolutely necessary," Xavier swings around, pulls up his hood once more, and stalks out the door, expecting me to follow.  

I don't think twice about it.  

I follow him, what other choice did I have?  

Since I had never heard about Xavier before I hoped he could be trusted.  

After all, what else could he want from me? 

As we walk quickly down the hall he looks over his shoulder towards me. He studies my face for a moment and I think he is going to say something important. 

Instead, he just snaps, "Hurry up, you're too slow," I narrow my eyes at his rudeness and jog up so I am closer behind him. Well, I had the gun, I could shoot him if he was too annoying. That thought makes me smile. 

"Don't even think about it, little one," He says, reading my mind, without even looking back at me.  

"I am not little," I hiss. He was bloody like Darrius in every way... 

Perhaps worse.