Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I have no urge to ring anyone or tell anyone what happened to me. I was too numb inside and exhausted physically and mentally to talk to anyone. For a little while, I just wanted to be by myself. 

I stagger into my bedroom and see the window still open where Darrius had broken into my room. I don’t even close it. I angrily shuck off the black dress he had given me and I look into my wardrobe for PJs. I wear my cotton flannelette bottoms and top.

Then I climb on top of my covers and hug my knees to my chest. Because it is morning now I look out the open window to the blue sky and the rising sun. No vampires could get me during the day time. Why would they even want to anyway? My parents were dead, so they were no longer a problem for the vampires. I wasn’t needed as a hostage anymore. 

I lie down and close my eyes. I just needed a nap. 

I fall into darkness instantly. 

****

When I wake up the sun is down. Darkness surrounds me and I feel slightly disorientated. I remember, however, the events that happened not long ago. I look to my bedside table. It’s nearly midnight. I am under a soft blanket, which means someone had put it over me. I wasn’t sure who though. Maybe it was Uncle Jeff, who came over every now and then to say hi and catch up with me.

I felt rejuvenated physically, but mentally I was still drained. I needed to report to the police that my parents were murdered by vampires. I slip out of bed and stand up, but I freeze as I hear footsteps in the hall.

“Uncle Jeff?” I ask, nervous and tense all of a sudden. I gasp as Darrius, blood dripping from each corner of his mouth, comes to stand in my doorway with the biggest smirk on his face.

Straight away I put my hand to my neck, worried he might have bitten me while I slept. There was no wound so I was okay… but who wasn’t?

“Where are you going, sweetheart?” He asks me, both hands clutching the doorframe, blocking my exit.

“Who did you drink blood from?” I ask. 

“No one called Uncle Jeff, at least I don’t think so…” he says, looking smug. Suddenly scared by his answer I run forward and push him out of the way. He lets me through and follows me into the living area and kitchen. I see two dead hunters, a woman and a man, I don’t know them but they are piled on top of one another on the couch, blood staining their necks.

“I don’t know who these people are… why did you kill them?” I ask, trying to stop my voice from wavering. Darrius stands beside me, a hand at the small of my back. I was too scared to move away. Scared he might pounce and start drinking my blood. I’d die and I didn’t want to die, not yet.

“They were looking after you, because your parents can’t,” Darrius says quietly next to my ear, “But I can’t have them in my way.” I find the nerve to step forward and spin to face him, pointing a figure at his chest.

“What do you want with me? You don’t need me as a hostage anymore,” I snap, suddenly very angry. Couldn’t I have some peace to grieve my dead parents?  

“Sweetie, you are going to have to get use to death. It really isn’t that bad, trust me. There are worse things on this earth that you can see and experience, much worse than having a loved one die off,” he explains this with a soothing voice, which just makes me more upset.

“And I guess you’d know? Tell me why you’re here and please tell me you aren’t going to kidnap me again,” I narrow my eyes at him as he smiles. 

“There is a reason so many vampire hunters came to save you, sweetie,” he says, reaching out a hand and trailing his fingers across my right cheek, “You’re special.”

“How?” I ask bluntly. He may as well just spill it all out.

“Not all vampire hunters have children that are born to be hunters also. It’s random, when a child is born they have a 1 in a 1000th chance of becoming a vampire hunter. They are very rare to find and when they are found, you must go through a certain ritual to make you into a fully-fledged hunter. They were protecting you,” he explains. 

“So what? Why are you here? Are you going to kill me?” I really wasn’t sure with the gleam in his eyes. I didn’t know if he wanted to keep me around to talk to me a bit more, or if he wanted to just go right ahead and drain me of my blood he wanted to taste so badly. He had no reason to hesitate.

“I’m a strong vampire,” he says, “Exceptionally so, because I wasn’t just an average human turned into a vampire. I was like you, someone with the potential to become a hunter. I was about to go through the ritual when I was turned. I became the vampire who is able to hunt vampire hunters.”

“You are telling me, that you were going to be a hunter, became a vampire, and now you hunt the hunters? Are you joking with me?” I ask him, disbelieving of how that was even possible.

“I’m not joking. I’m going to do the same to you. The King needs more warriors like me to protect vampires. I can train you,” he seems dead serious about this and I just gape.

“I don’t understand,” I say, taking a step back as he takes one forward.

“My good little girl… it’s simple,” he says, reaching up to cup my cheek, “I’m going to turn you into a vampire.” 

“No.”

“Yes.”