26: A Terrifying Plan

Start from the beginning

"How can you be so sure about that?" Danny asked.

"I... I just am."

"Lindsey's right," Kira said. "What if we've done all this for nothing?"

"It'll work. It has to."

"What about him?" Noshiko asked for the third time as a man walked into the front door, looking around as he did so.

"No. He's here every week with a new self-diagnosis," Melissa responded.

"Hypochondriac?"

"Prescription drug addict." Melissa looked down at the timer on her phone for what seemed like the hundredth time. "Why are we doing this?" She looked over at Noshiko, who had a puzzled look on her face. "Why are we asking them to fight these kinds of battles?"

"Because otherwise we would be asking them to run and hide. And we both know Scott won't do that."

Melissa sighed, knowing she was right.

"I haven't gotten a response out of him for a while," Derek said over the phone. Isabel was leaning against the wall, keeping an eye on the elevator. "Anything?"

"Still no show here. I hope that means he's on the way here, but I'm not going to hold my breath."

"Need me to come up there and help?"

"No. We have enough people here and truthfully I don't want you up here in case things go south."

"I can still defend myself."

"But you can't heal. If you got hurt, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself."

"Isabel, I want to do my part. I'm still part of this pack."

"I know. It's just when you got shot last week. What if it hadn't been at your side?"

"Why are you so worried about me getting hurt?"

Isabel sighed. "You've lost your powers, Derek."

"We'll find a way to get them back. I'm going to keep trying to get a reaction out of the Benefactor, you keep an eye out for him."

"I love you."

"I love you, too." Isabel hung up and turned to see Isaac.

"What do you mean by Derek losing his powers?" he asked.

"You can't tell the others yet."

Lindsey was watching the cameras on her laptop when the camera on the roof lost signal.

"Guys, we've lost the roof," she said.

Danny's fingers flew, trying to bring the image back up.

"I'll go check it out and see what happened," Kira said.

"I don't think this is a malfunction," Danny said. "I'm not getting any kind of signal from the roof camera."

"That's why I'm bringing this." Kira partially unsheathed her katana. She started to leave.

"I'm coming with you," Liam said, following her.

"And you're both coming back. Immediately." The two left and Stiles sighed. "Kids."

Lindsey snickered and Danny smiled.

"Are you worried about your nephew getting hurt?" Lindsey asked.

"My nephew?" Lindsey grinned and Danny snorted a laugh. "Oh, my God, Lindsey! Scott is not his dad. What is wrong with you?"

Lindsey laughed as Danny continued to work on the computer.

Kira and Liam went to the roof and originally saw nothing. Liam took a step forward when one of the transformers suddenly exploded in a shower of sparks. The two jumped back, covering their faces. When the sparks died down, Liam stepped closer to have a better look.

"Looks like someone did something to it."

Kira felt something behind her and she looked over her shoulder. She gave a gasp and drew her katana. "You just might be right," she said.

Liam turned when he heard the growl. A creature that looked like it was armored in bear bones was walking towards them.

"What the hell is that?" Liam asked.

Kira went into a defensive stance. "A berserker."

Sean headed down the hall when the power briefly went out and the backup power came on. He found Chris as the lights flickered.

"Wanna make a guess he's here?" Sean said.

Chris looked like he was in Hunter mode. "Or something worse."

"I'm going to choose to be optimistic here."

"Come on."

They headed back towards the morgue when something grabbed Chris' arm. Chris spun around and drew his .45 and pointed it at the perpetrator. Lindsey squeaked, her eyes wide as Stiles took a step back. Danny was next to Lindsey, a surprised look on his face.

"How about we not traumatize them any more than they already are," Sean said as Chris lowered his weapon.

"Don't startle me like that."

"Sorry, but power is out in the whole building," Stiles said. "We lost all the cameras."

"You three stay with Scott. Text me or Sean if you hear or see anything."

"How much time do we have left?" Lindsey asked.

"18 minutes."

The three teens went into the morgue while Sean and Chris headed down the hall.

Melissa and Noshiko had gone back inside the building, Isaac having called Melissa about the plan having a small hitch. Once inside, they were joined by Devin.

"What's going on?" Melissa asked.

"I don't know yet," he said. "There is definitely something going on though."

"I'm guessing the power doesn't go out often in this hospital," Noshiko said.

"No. Only when under attack by supernatural creatures," Melissa answered as they went to look for the kids.

"That happen often?" Devin asked.

"More than you'd think." They walked into the hospital room where the teens were supposed to be monitoring the cameras. Only to find their laptops. "Where are they?"