Thirteen: Second Party

Three weeks. Three weeks of absolutely nothing. Going through the funerals, one after another, two never being together. First it was Stephanie's mom, then her dad, then Matt's dad, mom. I held my tears back through them all, knowing that my best friends needed me. I barely made it through my parents' funeral, it was the hardest thing I could ever do, I was just glad my best friends were there to help me through it. My parents weren't really close to anyone, only a few friends were there, the rest of the crowd were people from The Pit. Both my grandfathers, and my dad's mother were dead, my mom never made contact with her mom after a fight they got into about me. So I didn't have much family to rely on. I stayed in my room half of the day, and cried silently to myself at night. Kian always tried to talk to me, or help distract, but I never seemed into it. For one, my parents were dead, and I knew that if it was us two, our kiss would be a definite topic of discussion. So I kept the conversation to a minimal. I don't know if Kian likes me, I don't know if I like him. He's sweet at times, but he gets an attitude too.

"knock knock" Kian says as he opens the door. I look away from the window and stare at him.

"hey" I whisper.

"Wanna come lay and see the stars with me?" he asks. I don't answer, instead I look away and stare into darkness that's outside. I hear Kian sigh and his footsteps come closer, until he lays next to me by the window. He grabs my hand.

"Mia," he whispers. I fail to give an answer. "Mia, please talk to me" he pleads.

"hey" I whisper again.

"Why?" I look at him as to ask what. "Why are you pushing me away?"

"I'm not" I finally answer, I'm not even sure he hears it.

"Yeah you are, Mia. I don't want you to build this wall between you and me, or anyone." I don't look at him, or answer. "Mia, you don't think anyone understands? What about Stephanie, or Matt? They care. They understand. I understand." he understands?!

"do you?" I say, "do you really Kian? You understand what I'm going through? You fucking know the feeling in my heart, the empty feeling? The pain of knowing that both my parents are now buried six feet underground, lifeless, helpless?!" I stand up, "YOU KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH SIX FUNERALS IN LESS THAN A MONTH?! YOU KNOW THE FEELING OF BEING AN ORPHAN?!" I loose control of myself and break down into tears.

"yeah. Mia. I do know. I know what it's like to do all of that." I look up at him, "I know what it's like to have both parents underground. I know what it's like going through more than enough funerals in less a fucking month. How?! because not only was my mom shot getting something for me, but my father and siblings were murdered in front of me...that same night" I stop crying and look straight at Kian.

"Kia-"

"don't. just, don't. I hate having people pity me. I know I've seen shit and been through some shit, I don't need your sorry" I don't say anything, too shocked to react. Kian sees that, and we embrace each other. Kian doesn't cry, he just holds on to me like it's the last thing he'll do, and I couldn't be any more grateful.

--

A few hours later, Kian is still in my room while we keep each other company. We're laying in my bed, listening to music when a knock on the door is heard.

"Come in" I say as we sit up, and in walks Sam.

"Hey, what are you two up too?" he asks.

"laying...chillin" Kian answers.

"Y'all down to go to a party?" he asks. Something inside of me lights up and I have a sudden urge to go. Strangers, music, dancing, alcohol.

alcohol