Chapter 52

Cally's pov

The next morning, Newt woke me. "Cally?" I heard his voice while I felt his hand on my shoulder. "Cally, wake up, I'm gonna need my legs back."
     I didn't understand his comment until I opened my eyes and realized that I was still lying on Newt's legs. I must've fallen asleep last night.... I thought before shooting up, feeling completely embarrassed.
     "Wow! Cals, it's okay," Newt said with a small chuckle in his voice.
     I rubbed the part of my face that had been pressed against Newt's leg. "Sorry," I mumbled. Then I noticed the sleeping back that had been laying on me like a blanket.
     Apparently, Newt knew what I wanted to ask before I could say it out loud, "Tommy got it for ya before he went to sleep. I would've fetched it myself, but I didn't want to wake ya."
     I nodded, "That's sweet." Thomas wasn't there anymore, and neither was Chuck. Bark was still lying against a stump, looking at us. "What time is it?" I asked.
     "Time to get breakfast," Newt answered, "we should get goin', I need to get the Greenie to Winston soon." As he said that, he stretched his body and got up from the ground. He offered me a hand, "ya comin'?"
     I accepted his help to get up, and together with Bark, we walked towards the Homestead. "So, the Greenie is getting the Slicers? That's rough on a first day, especially after what happened yesterday." I stated.
     Newt nodded, "it ain't easy, but he'll be fine."
     As we walked, my attention fell on my wrist, more specifically the bracelet around it. I had tried to get it off again. I used all the tools I could think of and could get my hands on, but this time nothing worked. There was not even a scratch on the like leather looking thing. But there were scratches on my arm and hand. Not just scratches, but also cuts and bruises. I just needed the thing out of my body, but after a 'conversation' with Alby (existing of Alby yelling at me most of the time) we came to the conclusion that I should keep it around my wrist. For now.
     "Don't worry 'bout it, you'll be fine." I looked up at Newt, not really understanding what he meant. Apparently, he could read my expression because he explained himself. "The bracelet. Don't worry 'bout it."
     I started rubbing my arm at the edge of the bracelet, "That's easy to say for you, you don't have weird liquids injected into your body."
     "That's one way of lookin' at it," he stated.
     "Okay, and what is the other way?" I asked, feeling slightly irritated.
     "Well, you've been back for 'bout a day, and ya haven't passed out yet."
     I chuckled, "Exactly, yet. Besides, when I passed out, I'd see memories. I just want to get more answers...."
     "Cals, we don't even know if it were real memories." Newt sounded concerned when he said that, "maybe it's better this way. You barely got any shut eye and were all on edge because of 'em."
     I raised an eyebrow and wanted to protest, but realized in time it would be better if I didn't. I hadn't told Newt that I knew about the girl or that I knew her name. I remembered it yesterday. It was Teresa. I just hadn't told anyone. Up until now, it was going different than in the movie, so maybe hell won't break loose, and life just goes on in the Glade as it always had the past months I've been here.
     "Maybe you're right, Newton."

~.~.~

While I was eating breakfast with Newt; Ezra had joined us. Minho was already off in the Maze. We were just talking when Alby walked up to us. "There you are," he said. I assumed he was talking to Newt, but after some time of silence, I looked up from my plate to see Alby looking at me.
     "You were talking to me?"
     A small smile appeared on Alby's face, "No, I was talkin' to the shuck dog. Yes, I was talking to you."
     "No need for sarcasm, what do you need me for, ow great leader?"  I said mockingly.
     "Come with me," he just said and walked away towards the stairs.
     I put my sandwich down and got up, "well, I guess I'm following him." Bark, who had been lying by my feet, also got up and followed me. I turned around and pointed my finger at the guys on the table, "Don't touch my food." After I said that, I followed Alby up the stairs and into the Med-room.
     Clint was still in it, "Clint, you can go eat breakfast, Cally and I will be here for a moment." Clint did as Alby said and walked out, closing the door behind him.
     Alby walked over to a chair that stood beside the girl that was still in a coma. "How are you feeling, Shank?"
     I walked to him and sat down on the bed closest to him, "I'm fine. But I'm sure you didn't bring me here to have a casual conversation. Am I right?"
     Alby shook his head, "That's right. I wanted to talk to you about her," he said while gesturing to the sleeping girl. Again, I turned my attention to her, the pale skin and black hair. She seemed peaceful, like she was just sleeping. Even though she wasn't.
     "I want you to tell me what you know about her," Alby continued.
     "Why should I know anything about her?"
     Alby raised an eyebrow at me, "Don't play games, Cally. I don't have time for it. You knew Thomas was comin' up. Now, what do you know about this Shank?"
     I shrugged, "Fair enough. I don't know much. I think her name is Teresa, I know she's important and that she and Thomas have a connection. Even though that last part is more a feeling than stated on actual facts. In the movie, she was his love interest, but she wasn't in a coma fo-"
     "Wow, hold up, love interest?"
     Alby didn't seem to understand it, so I decided I would explain it to him. "Yes, love interest. Almost every story has one or more love interests in it for the main character. It's like an unwritten story law. Besides, most ships and fanfics are based around them." And again, Alby looked at me as if I had gone crazy. I sighed, "it's not that important. It just means that there's a big chance Thomas and sleeping beauty fall in love, or something like that."
     "And again, you're giving me useless information, Cally."
     I rolled my eyes at Alby, "You told me to tell you what I know about the Shank. Well, that's what I know."
     "That's everything? Really?" Alby sounded annoyed and a little disappointed.
     I thought about it for a moment. Something in me wanted to tell him about what came next. It would probably be the best thing to do. But there was still a voice in my head, no, more a feeling, telling me that I shouldn't. On the other side, I didn't want to lie to him, but.... he wanted me to tell him what I knew about her, not the Glade or the Maze. So, technically speaking, I wasn't lying to him.
     "That's everything... I think."
     Alby sighed and brought his hand to his face, pinching the skin between his eyebrows with his thump and index finger. "Ok. Thank you, Cally. At least it's somethin'."
     I nodded, "no problem, Alby."
     It was quiet for a moment before I had enough of it, "can I go back to my breakfast now? Or what's left of it anyway." I said, knowing Ezra had definitely taken some of it.
     I seemed to have pulled Alby out of some deep thought when he looked back at me. "Be my guest." He mumbled.
     I got up from the bed and walked to the door, but when my hand reached for the doorknop, Alby spoke to me again. "And Cally. We're not telling the other Gladers this. That includes Minho, Ezra, and Newt. Good that?"
     Again, I nodded in agreement, "Of course."