Chapter 27

Newt's pov

Cally slammed the door close behind her. I didn't move. I couldn't. I just stood there, frozen.
    Did I just make things worse? No, she already hate me, I can't make it worse than that. I was trying to protect her, I know she wanted to be a Runner, but this way, she's saver. I can't let her get stung again. She may hate me, but I won't let her go through all of that again.
     The door opened again, snapping my head to it. My heart leaped, thinking it was Cally. But it wasn't. Instead, Alby came walking in. He seemed surprised to see me.
     "Ow, you're still here. Why aren't you off in the Maze? You'll have to leave if ya want to be able to get back in time."
     I shook my head, trying to get back to reality. Unfortunately, the dreadful feeling stuck. "Yeah, I know. I was just..." I turned around, took the papers I had put down, and walked towards the door.
     "She'll turn around, you know." Alby said, making me stop walking. "She's angry now, but in time, she'll see that it's for the better."
     I shook my head slightly, not noticeable for Alby. I know the anger will fade away, but she'll still hate me. I don't know why that bothered me so much. Maybe it's because I thought we were friends. Maybe it was because there had been a sliver of hope in me, just the slightest of thoughts, that we could have become more.
     "Shanks have been angry at me before, I can handle it." I eventually said before leaving the room.

~.~.~

Cally's pov

I made a promise for a change of revolution in the night
Like a flower dark and blooming from my love, not light
I won't let them intervene, I won't allow them in my way.
The world will know, the night will grow, it all begins today
Some day, somehow, I'll show the world, in time.
Replace these clouds above with shining sky

I was sitting in the Deadheads by the Graveyard. Since there was no one else near the place I had put in my earphones and was listening to The World cover by Jonathan Young. I had already listened to I'm not okay by MCR and Survival of the Sickest by Saliva when this song came on.

I see the future and the fruit it brings.
This town forgot it sense of reasoning.
These ever-twisting days are blackening.
The dark, it starts to turn into dreams.

Listening to those songs was calming me down. I was frustrated and angry. I had started crying the moment I had left the Homestead, but here no one could see it, and I was glad for that.

Please tell me why!
Am I a savior meant to save us all?
The people cry!
They want an end, a curtain call!
I made a promise for a change of revolution in the night!

The cracking of twigs made me pull out my earphones. I quickly put them into my bag and wiped away the last remains of the tears.
     I looked into the direction of where the sound had come from. There, I saw Gally. Bark had seen him too, and she ran at him to say hello. Gally knelt down by her and petted her, talking to her in a slightly higher voice than normal. Realizing I was watching him, he cleared his throat and made his way to me.
     "I thought I saw you ran off into the Deadheads." He said as he sat down beside me.
     "What do you want, Gally?" I wasn't up for another talk with anyone.
     Gally looked at me for a moment, I didn't look up, but I could feel his eyes on me. "Are those tear stains?"
     I sighed and brushed my hands over my cheeks again, "Not that it's any of your business, but I cry when I'm frustrated."
     Gally didn't seem bothered in any way by what I said. "Not that it matters, but I think it's a bunch of klunk. You're a good Runner and getting stung is just one of the risks attached to the job."
     I looked up at him for a moment, I really hadn't expected that coming from him. "Exactly, I mean, I knew what I signed up for. It was my choice to do it, and now they just decide for me what I have to do. That one trace of control I had over my life since I got here and they just-" I snapped my fingers. "Took it from me."
     A tear streamed down my face, and I quickly wiped it away.
     Unfortunately, Gally still saw it. He seemed to have trouble with what he wanted to say. "You know.... I... Okay, I'm not good at this. Maybe I should get someone who can help, like Newt or-"
     "No thanks." I scoffed. "I'm not talking with Newt. First, he ignores me, and then he claims that he wants to protect me. Well, I'm done with it."
     It was quiet for a moment before Gally started talking again. "I'm so gonna beat you tonight. You can say goodbye to your title, Queen of the Circle." His voice had gone back to what I was used to from him. Competitive, but with a teasing undertone.
     I wanted to smile, but instead, I glared at him. "HA! beat me? Good luck with that, Shank."
     His competitiveness took over his entire posture now. "I don't need luck. You're weak from the Changing. You can't beat me like this."
     "You wish! Even now, I could beat you with one hand bound to my back."
     Gally got up from the ground, "I would like to see you try."
     I got up too and looked him straight in the eyes, "did you just challenge me, Gally?"