Chapter 5

Newt's pov

I ran through the south door back into the Glade and went straight into the map room, now the memories were still fresh on my mind. Just as every day, I drew the maps of today and compared them with the others; and of course, everything was just as all those times before. Nothing changed. Nothing ever changed.
     Head hanging low, I walked out of the Map Room. My eyes almost immediately got drawn to Cally, making me realize that, in fact, something had changed inside the Glade. There was a girl now. The first one to ever walk between the four walls of the Glade. And what was she doing? Playing with the bloody dog.
     I couldn't stop the smile that tugged on my lips when I saw Bark jump against Cally, knocking her back against the ground. She didn't seem to mind, though. She was laughing and petting Bark, who was still standing on her chest.
     "Staring is impolite, ya know. I wouldn't let Alby notice. He'd throw you off the Cliff."
     I looked up to see Minho standing beside me. He was covered in sweat, making his dark hair stick to his face and neck.
     "I wasn't staring, Shuck-face."
      "Yeah, right, dude." Minho said with a snicker and a roll of his eyes. "And I smell like a field of roses on a summer day."
     I mimicked Minho and rolled my eyes back at him. Minho dropped the subject, but he kept a mocking smile directed at me. "She seems to be enjoying the animals. You think she's gonna be a Slicer?"
     "Don't think so, she really doesn't want to kill animals." I answered, recalling the conversation we had this morning.
     Minho shrugged, "doesn't matter. I'm starving. Are you gonna ask her to join us or what?"

The moment Cally noticed us approaching her, she pushed Bark off her and gave a somewhat hesitating smile. "Hey guys. Done running around the Maze?"
     "For today." Minho answered her while stretching his arms behind his head. "You done playing with the dog?"
     She looked down at Bark, who was lying beside her while she petted her behind the ears. "I'll never be done with that."
     "Well, that's a shame, Greenie. We were gonna ask you if ya wanne join us for dinner. But we understand this is more important." Minho said jokingly, but I wondered if Cally noticed that he, in fact, was joking. Most people find it hard to tell, but apparently, she did not.
     "The sarcasm is strong with this one. It was Minho, right?"
     "The one and only."
     "Well, I would like to join you. I'm starving." Cally almost jumped up, startling Bark; who also got up.
     "Ya smell like dog Greenie, go take a bath." Minho commented after inhaling deeply through his nose.
     "Yeah, because you smell like a field of roses." Sarcasm was dripping of her words, but Minho just bumped my arm.
     "Told ya I did."
     As we walked towards the Homestead, Bark kept following us, or actually, following Cally. "I see you've made a new friend, Cals."
     Cally looked at me for a moment, then looked down at Bark and smiled. "Yeah, I guess so. We're the only girls, so we're gonna need each other. Right girl?" Bark just looked at her with her tongue out of her mouth, not responding in any way.
     "Well, Newt, she already lost it. Talking to animals. She's jacked up, man. We should put her in the Slammer before it's too late."
     I rolled my eyes at him. "Ha. Ha." Cally started, "you're so funny Minho, ever thought to quit the Runner gig and just becoming a comedian instead?"
     Minho and I laughed. She's gonna fit in just fine. Just need to find her a job.
     The moment we walked into the dining room by the kitchen, I could just feel the shanks looking at us. There were murmurs and whispers about her. They're so immature. I thought. Can't they just act like they've got some kind of self control?
     "I call dips!" One of them shouted.
     "Everyone who touches the girl I'll personally throw of the Cliff!" Alby shouted over the sounds of the other Gladers.
     "And if he doesn't, I will." I mumbled.
     "What did you say?" Cally seemed to have noticed me mumbling.
     "Ow, nothing." I tried to brush it off, but a smirk had already formed on her face as she looked at me out of the corner of her eyes.
     "Ow, okay. Thought you said something sweet. But I guess I was wrong."
     My eyes grew wide. Did she hear me? I hope she didn't, but that smirk.... she bloody did, I'm such a Slinthead.