Chapter 11

Cally's pov

I woke up even before the first ray of sunshine was visible in the sky. I knew it was early in the morning because it was getting lighter, but I still couldn't see the sun. It kept bothering me. Why couldn't I see the sun? We never could, no matter how big the Glade was or what point of the day, we could only see the light of the big star, but not the thing itself. How was that even possible?
     I led the thought slide of me the moment I remembered what day it was. Today, I was going to prove myself!
     Or at least try to.
     Even though I was terrified of the Maze and for what was inside of it, I really wanted to do this. I remember from the movies that they found a way out through it, I just can't remember where or how. Maybe running in it; mapping the place, researching it would trigger my memories.
     Not feeling like staying in my room, I pulled my purple shirt over my head, bound my bag to my leg, and walked downstairs. As always, I was followed by my loyal companion.
     The kitchen was empty, Frypan and the others must still be asleep, or maybe they were in the back, preparing things. Either way, I didn't care, I was hungry, so I took some old sandwiches from yesterday and walked outside.
     The Glade was quiet and peaceful. Most of the Gladers were still asleep, and the few who had woken up were lying or sitting on the ground. Enjoying their last minutes of rest before the day began and they had to work again.
     I headed to my favorite place in the Glade, the Deadheads. I just loved the trees and the sounds of the birds and insects, even though I almost never saw one. It almost always seemed like the other Gladers didn't like it here, well, less than in the rest of the Glade. Giving me some time alone between the green and the brown of the plants.
     While walking around the urge to take my mp3 out of my bag and start listening to some music got stronger with the minute. I have had a song stuck in my head for days now and I just wanted to listen to it. The only problem was, no one else knew I had an mp3-player, and I probably shouldn't have one in here. They could start suspecting me of things when they find out I've got some kind of technology they don't. And of course, I didn't want to waste the battery. Feeling like I shouldn't take the risk, I decided not to use it. So, instead of listening to the song, I started to hum it. The song itself was the Fall Out Boy cover of I Wanne Be Like You. One of the less popular songs from Disney's Jungle Book, but that didn't stop me.
     As I kept walking through the Deadheads, I would sometimes throw a stick for Bark. She would run after it and later come back with a completely different stick, but looking like the proudest dog I had ever seen. It made me smile every time she did it.
     "If I ever get out of this place, you're coming home with me, Bark." I said to her while petting her head. She just looked happily at me with her tongue out of her mouth and breathing quick from the running.
     A voice from behind me made me look up, "Good to know that, from everyone in the Glade, you'll take the bloody dog with ya." It was Newt.
     "Yes, of course her. She's my girlfriend. There is no way that I'm leaving her behind or that I let her go with one of those other Shanks. Hell no, she's mine." There grew a smile on Newt's face that turned into a small laugh while I was talking. Making me feel uneasy. "What?"
     He shook his head, "nothin'."
     "Why are you laughing?"
     "It's nothin', Forget it."
     "I won't, and even if I wanted to, I can't. So tell me before my insecurity takes control over my curiosity."
     I wasn't joking, but apparently, Newt thought I was. He started laughing again and shook his head, "ya're a weird one, Greenbean."
     "Well, being weird is a side effect of being awesome, so thank you for the compliment, Newton. You're pretty weird too, not as weird as me, though. Maybe, if you stick around a little more, you could become as weird as me one day."
     "As weird as you? I don't think anyone can do that without gettin' jacked up in the process. So no, thank you."
     This time, it was me who laughed, "Your loss."
     "Speaking of losing. Ya think you're gonna pass the test?"
     My smile disappeared for a short moment as I swallowed nervously and started to rub my arm. "It would be easier to say if I knew what the test is."
     "Don't be nervous. It's not all that crazy. We'r just gonna take a look at your skill set." Newt said in a reassuring voice, but his actual words were the things that stuck with me.
     "We? You too? I thought only Minho and Alby would test me."
     "Of course we. Ya didn't think I would let them test you without me, did ya?"
     "Well, I was kinda hoping it. The more people are watching, the more nervous I get."
     Newt smiled kindly to me, "A lot of Gladers are gonna be watching, so better prepare y'self."
     "Thanks, Newt. That's really helping." I made sure he could hear the sarcasm in my voice. But of course, he didn't care, I mean, who would after spending so much time in one place with Minho.
     "You're welcome, Greenbean."
     "I was being sarcastic."
     Newt laughed, "I know, you do that a lot."
     The sound of snapping twigs made us look up. "So there you are!" It was Minho. He was jogging and came to a stop when he reached us, "I was wondering where you were, Greenie. I came to wake you so you wouldn't be late, but apparently, Newt beat me to it."
     "Nobody woke me, I woke up early, so I went for a walk when I ran into him. And now, into you.... what are you two doing here?"
     Minho placed his hands on his hips, "why? Aren't we allowed to walk through the Deadheads?"
     "I never see you guys here, and now I see both of you. I just think it's a bit suspicious, that's all." Minho and Newt exchanged a look, confirming there was something going on, "you know what? I'm gonna leave you two to whatever you're doing, and I'm going back to the Homestead. See ya guys later."
     I turned around, and Bark and I walked back. They're up to something. That much is clear to me. I'll find out what, but not right now. Let's now just focus on my test. I don't know what's going to happen, but I better make sure I'm rested and have had enough to eat.
     That turned out to be a great decision. Because after my (second) breakfast of today, Alby, Minho, and Newt came to get me for my test.