18

"Grace, what's been up with you? You're not yourse—"
I watched Mal frantically shake her head.
"Jay!" Evie scolded.
I rolled my eyes. "I'm fine, guys."
"You and the love of your life just broke up. You're not fine, you're being oblivious. And that's okay, to an extent." Mal said.
I started crying. "It just hurts, guys. It's been a whole month. I don't feel like myself. There's something missing, and I can't even do anything about it because he's with UMA."
Mal pulled in her eyebrows. "Uh, he's not with Uma. Uma's dating Hal, Hades' son. That's what EQ said on FaceTime the other day."
My heart sank. "What."
"Yeah. She said Uma sneaks out all the time to see Hal. EQ's gossip is never wrong."
I threw the pillow across the room.
"So it was either an excuse, or Harry's getting cheated on. Either way he's an idiot. An idiot with a fist in his mouth." Jay spat.
I pulled out my phone, and hit the FaceTime icon.
He picked up on the first ring. It was late, I was surprised.
"Oh, uhm— Gracie. Hi."
"Hi, look—"
"Oh my God, are cyou crying? Is it Ben? I'll make a trip to Auradon right now, I don't ca—"
"It's not Ben, Harry. I haven't been able to accept Ben's dates because—nevermind. Not the point."
"Oh my God. Is it me? You have no idea how bad that would hurt that you were crying that bad over me, Gracie. You mean so much to me, I'm nothing special, you shouldn't be—"
"Harry! Shut up and let me talk. Are you and Uma really dating, or were you lying because you didn't want to give me a real reason?"
He sighed. "Do we really have to talk about this in front of your mates?"
"When my mates are the ones getting me the tissues for every time I cry at the thought of you, yeah. Yeah we do."
He sighed again. "It was an excuse. I'm not allowed to tell you the real reason."
I looked at him, puzzled. "Not allowed?"
His face went white. "I...uh... you didn't hear that."
"Tell me."
He shook his head. "I would love to, I really would, but I can't."
"Harry James Hook, tell me now. If you truly love me like you said you always will, you'll tell me."
His eyes started watering but he quickly dried them. Harry doesn't cry.
"It's your mother. That's all I can say."
I nodded slowly and processed the information. It makes so much sense.
I guess I was silent for too long.
"Gracie, I miss you. So, so much."
"I miss you too, Harry."
Jay and Mal rolled their eyes, while Evie was silently crying and Carlos was getting emotional.
"I want you to know that things would be different if you were here. I'm not using that to coax you to come back, but that's what I believe. We'd still be different if you were here."
"Time to hang up, G. We're going to the museum, Carlos has a lead on the wand." Mal barked.
I turned to the phone again. "Harry, I gotta go."
He nodded. "I understand. Talk soon, okay?"
I smiled. "Definitely." I pressed the red end button.
My heart broke a little.
"Please don't go back with him, G." Evie begged.
Mal, Carlos, and Hay left ahead of us.
"I don't know what to do, E."
She put a hand on my shoulder and gave me her big, brown, understanding eyes.
"Go out with Ben. Build a relationship with Ben. Fall in Love with Ben like I know you want to, but you're worried about how it would make Harry feel."
"You see right through me, don't you?" I laughed.
As we left the room and walked down the hallway, I bumped into Ben when I wasn't looking.
"Oh, hey Grace!" He smiled. "I like the new hair." He ran his fingers through my new light brown hair.
"Thanks." I smiled.
Evie gave me an urging look.
"So look, I was wondering if you wanted to go out tomorrow night with me. As a date thing." I stuttered.
"A date thing?" He laughed.
I'm dumb.
"I'm just kidding. Absolutely, of course. I'll plan something and pick you up at 6." He smiled and gave me and quick hug before unlocking his office door.

8 Months Later

"Happy Anniversary, my love!" Ben kissed me when I met him at our spot, where a perfect recreation of our first date, a small abandoned, but private, beach on the south edge of Auradon, where we can watch Ariel's sisters swim by.
I smiled. "It's beautiful, thank you."
He pulled me in at my waist and kissed me, long and slow, for a minute.
"Anything for you. I love you."
I smiled. That's the first time we've said it.
"I love you more."
I sat down and ate the pineapple in the basket on the soft white beach blanket.
I handed him my present, which was the beast ring he lost in the lake the night we snuck out and went swimming. He was ecstatic.
"And here is yours." He handed me an envelope.
I ripped open the top slowly. It was a gold slip of paper.

Grace Eugenia Gothel

A one way ticket across the barrier to the Isle of the Lost. Bring all your friends.

Love, your boyfriend,

Ben.

I gasped and let out a small scream. "Oh my God!" I hugged him. "Thank you so much!"
He smiled and squeezed back. "You're so welcome. I know how much you miss home."
"But aren't you worried I'll see—"
"Harry? No. Take this as... A symbol of trust." He nodded with a smile affirmingly.
"Unless you give me a reason to be worried, I don't mind in the slightest. Because I know you love me, and not him."
False. I love you both. I have always loved you  both.
I smiled. "Of course sweetie."