Factoid #3: Werewolf Mating

AN -  Yay an update!

People think that werewolf mating is very straightforward. The mates meet, they mark each other and consummate the bond. However, scholars and writers agree that the mating bond is as complicated as the werewolves who mate.

Mating can have many phases.

Meeting

The first meet for two mates usually begins a few months before the dominant werewolf's birthday. The dominant begins to release pheromones in which the submissive or partner responds. This period is the perfect time for the two to get to know each other before going on to the next phase.

However there are times when the werewolves meet earlier or later (latent) than expected. Such cases are not rare, just uncommon. It usually happens when the two are both dominants or both submissives.

Latent meets usually happens when the mate isn't in the immediate are or if a widow/widower werewolf (someone who lost their mate) is blessed with another mate.

Other rare cases include Alpha pairings, and familial pairings (incest) other specie mates which are either a blessing or a curse.

Rejection

Rejection occurs before and after the first meet. It's uncommon for werewolves to reject their mate but there have been cases in history.

Usually the dominants don't experience any untoward effects but they do show an increase in promiscuity. However most scholars think that the dominants may have rejected their mates because they were highly promiscuous in the first place. They are sometimes called wandering werewolves, never settling on a specific werewolf and going after werewolves who haven't found their mates yet.

Submissives suffer the most because they are mateless unless someone marks them which is rare. It's also highly unlikely that two mateless submissives will mark each other.

Marking

After meeting each other, the dominant werewolf may mark his/her partner. The marking ensures that no other werewolf will mate with his/her partner. The mark is administered by biting the area between the shoulder and neck hard enough to leave a mark.

Mating between two mates is usually destined, however marking is not. Any werewolf can mark another werewolf by force. Once marked, only the werewolf who did the marking can remove it. Still, the marked werewolf can choose not to consummate the mating.

Marking someone who isn't your mate against their will is akin to rape. Since marking is a mechanism designed to ward away rivals, it's possible that a forced marking will also drive away the true mate of the marked werewolf.

Rogues frequently use marking on their abducted victims.

Consummation (mating)

After the marking comes consummation. This is the part where the submissive holds the power. He/she can agree or deny his/her partner. The physical act of sex isn't the trigger to consummation because any werewolf can just rape anyone. Rather it's the acceptance and love that completes the mating.

The marked werewolf may also wait for a set amount of time for the mark to disappear.

Consummation can be done at any age but most packs prefer werewolves to be over 18 before they can mate.

Destiny

Werewolf ancestors believe that the Moon Goddess and Wolf Gods shape the fates of werewolves. They don't actually interfere directly, they only lay down choices.

If there are good dieties, there are also bad ones that can interfere with the lives of werewolves. They are Fenrir, Cerberus and Anubis. They are also capable of setting the mates of werewolves.

However just like fate, werewolves can choose to fullfill their destiny or not.