Chapter 18

AN - Yay another update! Vote, comment, follow - TY!

Made a booboo - this is chapter 18. And no, it's not the end. There are about 7 chapters to go.

Damien/Dy’s POV

“Calm down Adrian.” The next-in-line Beta was going hysterical as Ray just lay limp in his buff arms. Okay, I just have to say this. Ray pissed me off a little because of the bad timing. I guess I’ll have to complete my mating ritual with Kirk some other time. Meanwhile, my mate was just holding me in his arms while he was trying to make heads and tails of things. Just wait for it. In three, two, one.

“BOO!” Ray suddenly perked up scaring Adrian so bad he almost dropped him from his arms.

“Wha- how?” Adrian asked completely bewildered. A second passed and he was hugging Ray for all his worth. Ray on the other hand was happily burrowing his face in Adrian’s chest, smiling like a content bunny. He even wiggled his nose.

A warm breath ruffled my hair and I felt Kirk’s chest rumble as he asked me. “What’s going on? I just noticed it right now but I can’t seem to hear any heartbeat from him.”

“Oh, You forgot to charge ‘it’ again?” I mock scolded Ray.

Ray lifted his head and looked at me, face lined with a hint of guilt. “Well there wasn’t any time this morning after I heard about Miki getting hospitalized.” Struggling a bit in Adrian’s arms, he settled to being cradled like a baby. Reaching inside his shirt, he pulled out a small device I made for him. It was a small plastic tablet with a pin, the size of a large Tums. It was the thumper I made for him to simulate a heartbeat. Adrian looked at it with a puzzled expression and then looked at me.

I sighed. “It’s up to Ray if he wants to tell you.”

“I don’t mind.” Ray smiled that bright but blank smile he always has. “The more the merrier. Maybe they can help me too.”

“Help with what?” Kirk asked as he craned his neck looking at the tablet in Ray’s hands.

“Ray sort of has a problem.” I grabbed another plastic tablet in my pockets and tossed it to Ray. Catching it in his hand, he pressed it and pinned it under his shirt. Adrian’s yellow eyes were wide open as he felt small thumps with his werewolf hearing. “He had a run in with a heart-stealing witch a few years ago before I met him. He’s been like that ever since.”

I still remember meeting Ray before. He was freaking everybody out as he would talk about gore and horror without batting an eyelash or losing his bright smile. That was one of the side effects of magically losing your heart. It seemed as if Ray couldn’t feel emotions anymore. There were times as if he got his heart back again but those were times when he would feel overly stressed. The kind of stress that would drive people insane, but for someone like Ray it would feel just like a small twinge in the chest. The other times he’d feel some emotion would be when he’d get drunk. Believe me, you do not want to see a drunk Ray. Last time he drank Absinthe, he’d run to the nearest biker and start shouting ‘Hagrid!’ at the top of his lungs. Now he has a biker fan club.

A deep growling broke my reminiscing and I saw Adrian barely holding his anger. “Who?”

I shrugged at him. “Miki and I have been trying to find that witch for a long time.”

“Maybe it’s time I helped?” A voice from behind interrupted us. It was my mom. “Matthew, Adrian. The Alpha needs you downstairs to help with the fortifications. The first wave of rogues has been subdued but there seems to be more. Oh and leave Ray here for safety.”