Chapter 5

Kirk’s POV

Damn it! My old man still meddles with my life. I mentally sighed as I slipped on my poker face and faced my friends. “What’s the situation Marco?”

Marco flinched as I trained my eyes on him. He hunched his shoulders trying to make himself small. Adrian on the other hand didn’t show any emotion and just regarded me with his attention. He’d be a better Beta than Marco. I cringed at the notion. I always thought that Damien would be my Beta. When we were still young, I was the foolhardy and emotional one. Damien on the other hand, was grounded and mature. He always rescued me during my half-brained escapades and pranks. Oftentimes he took the blow just to protect me and keep the name of my family clean.

“A-alpha,” Marco stuttered. “Your dad d-didn’t say anything.”

Tension was building behind my neck and I rolled my shoulders to remove a crick. I always hated bottling up my emotions. However I had to as I’m the Alpha heir apparent. “I keep telling you Marco, I’m not the Alpha yet. And if Dad didn’t say anything then it isn’t important.” The old dog must be putting another pageant show again in hopes of me finding my mate.

Turning around, I ignored the two and started loping towards where Damien disappeared. We weren’t finished talking yet and I’ve got four years worth waiting to be unleashed.

“Matt…” Adrian called out to me with respect. “I’ll handle the meeting with your Dad; just take Marco with you to watch your back.” Marco was nodding his head vigorously. Adrian was starting to act like a Beta than Marco.

I know Beta Lucas stuck them with me so I could choose a Beta when I turned eighteen. It irked me as Lucas knew how I felt about Damien. It’s not that gay werewolves are forbidden in the pack. Heck, the reason why the Beta spot was open was because Lucas had a male mate. Instead of choosing the next pack Beta through ascension or through bloodline, Lucas has to transfer his rights via transference. Damien still has a chance if… if only…

“Fine.” I glanced at Marco. “But keep your mouth shut and I’ll do the talking.” Without sparing another second at my escorts, I started running again. I hope I can find Damien this time. He really knows how to hide himself even at school.

My footfalls echoed along the alley matched by Marco’s steps.

There weren’t any traces of Damien’s scent anywhere. It figures, his mother must have taught him how to mask his scent. He also knows how to hide his presence. He’s good in hiding as a werewolf. Too bad I started learning how to track without using my wolf senses.

I saw a small indent on the grime of the alley. Somebody just dashed through here recently. A few meters ahead, one poster on the wall had a greasy mark. It smelled of cooking oil and soap suds. I grinned at Damien’s tracks and ran faster.

Danger! My senses were screaming at me.

“Matt get down!”

I was so distracted with finding Damien’s tracks that I barely managed to dodge in time as Marco crashed into me. A large shadow passed over us and I felt a ripping pain on my right shoulder.

Shaking my head, I looked around to see Damien surrounded by several rogue werewolves. What are they doing here? This must have been the emergency Dad was talking about. I struggled to untangle myself from Marco as I saw a rogue bunch his hind legs, ready to launch himself at Damien.

“Dy!” I called out to Damien. “Get out of here, you can’t fight them if you’re in human form!” I almost whimpered in fear for Damien's safety. I still couldn’t get up as Marco’s heavy body still pinned me to the ground. With a firm push I managed to throw Marco away only to see the rogue finally reaching  Damien.

“NOOOO!”

-------

AN - Tsk, first his pack, now rogue werewolves. I know this is a short chapter. I'm still struggling with a first person point of view narration. Hopefully I'll get the hang of this and start switching POVs to lengthen chapters.