Chapter 4

I was completely and utterly naked in front of Basil Monroe.

Not physically, but I was bare. Here we stood in front of the plain brick house, that sheltered everything I cared about. It was all placed before Basil, his for the taking if he wanted. I started to walk up the driveway only to have him grab my arm halting me, an occurrence I was growing tired of. Freezing I turn to meet his expressionless face.

" I'm going to stay behind," he mumbles. I nod in fake astonishment.

" What you're not going to monitor me," I snap. Basil grimaces his face falling from his once tentative expression.

" I'm trying to be nice Gray," he challenges. I scoffed rolling my eyes. " Yeah, you're a real sweetheart not murdering me and all," I seethe through gritted teeth. Basil puffs out air in aggravation, his golden eyes now on fire.

" Fine, you want me to be a dick I'll come with you. Now walk," Basil barks shoving me forward. My body trips up the driveway stumbling a couple more steps before regaining my balance. I shoot daggers at the blonde haired giant, swiftly making my way to the front door. Rummaging through my pockets my fingers dance around searching for house keys, the lack of metal resulting in a string of curses.

" I left my keys at the lake house," I huff frustrated. Basil rolls his eyes before cutting in front of me. I watched skeptically as he began to mess with the door handle, jiggling the silver knob roughly.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I question my voice rising.

" Breaking in," he says plainly. I grab the bridge of my nose overwhelmed by a sudden wave of annoyance.

" Are you trying to give my brother a heart attack? Because breaking in at two in the morning will do that to people," I shout only to be shushed. I raise my eyebrows in shock at his actions, his menacing glare still focused on me. " Don't shush me," I spit.

Basil leans in closer trying to intimidate me, but his fearful aura had evaporated. If Basil was going to shoot me he would have done it in the woods. That realization made feel invincible, irreplaceable even, untouchable.

"Listen I kind of the upper hand here, so I'd watch what I say," he warns returning to the knob.

Feeling bold I chuckle, " Then do it."

" What," He asked annoyance clear on his face.

" Do it, Basil, shoot me," I taunt. Basil smirks at my sudden wave of courage pulling the weapon out of his pocket. My stomach drops at the sudden appearance, but I try to mask my fear. I stay still as he aims it at my chest, his finger moving on the trigger. I release a shaky breath, the barrel cold against my skin. Refusing to break I stare at him unbothered, only causing Basil to laugh somewhat deranged. I watch cautiously as he lowers the gun slowly, staring at it like it was a simply a toy.

" How sweet it is that you think I would waste a bullet on you," he jeered, "I mean why should I when I have the option of your defenseless brother right behind this door." I grit my teeth at his audacity. The smug expression only increasing the speed of my pulse.

" You wouldn't dare," I breathed terrified. Basil only laughs like I've told him a joke.

" Try me, baby."

I remain quiet as Basil corners me against the front door, my quickening heartbeat as our proximity diminishes. My breath hitches when I hit the wall, the gun now poking me in the stomach. I freeze as his hand brushes along my skin, the motion sending goosebumps up my arm. I shudder slightly as his head dips down, his lips brushing against the nape of my neck. Basil presses soft calculated kisses against my exposed skin, alarmed I push him away.