Eren ━ Third Wheel

EDITED

This is my OC's POV: Mizuki! Enjoy~

MIZUKI'S POV ]

There goes Eren.

He walks flawlessly with that big smile on his face. I wish I'm the reason for his happiness. I wish I'm the reason for all the good times. I wish I'm the reason he'd fight until the end. Sadly, life is not always how you want it to be. To him, I'm just a dear friend. I've always been.

"(Y/n)!" I heard him call.

"What is it, Eren?" The (h/c) haired girl asks, walking towards him.

The male grabs her by the shoulders gently, careful not to hurt her.

"Did Jean hurt you? Are you okay?" He asks with concern.

"No, I'm fine! Don't worry." She assures him with a smile.

Eren protectively wraps his arms around her and she chuckles as she moves her arms to place them behind his back. I couldn't even look at their direction even after I told myself I'd finally be happy for them. After a few moments, they headed back to the mess halls while holding hands.

'I guess I can never win him after all. I don't stand a chance against (y/n).' I sighed in thought.

"Hey..." I hear a voice from behind me.

I turn around and meet his eyes.

"Hey, Jean." I say upon noticing him.

"Crushing on Jaeger, Mizuki?" He asks.

I internally groan. Way to give the news away, Mizuki.

"Is it that obvious?"

O ══════════════════ O  

"...Eren?" My voice comes out a whisper.

"Yes, Mizuki?"

I take a deep breath before meeting his gaze briefly. 

"May I eat with you?" I ask.

"Sure." He replies.

I loosen up a little. I don't know why I'm so nervous about asking to be at the same table with him when I've done it multiple times before. I move over to take the seat next to him but the look in his eyes stop me. 

"S-Sorry but (y/n) sits here. She just got a tray." He says.

"O-Oh, right! I'm sorry." I panic a bit and quickly take the seat across from him.

An awkward silence settles between us. I hear him clear his throat in an attempt to start a conversation but it doesn't come. Instead, we hear footsteps approach us. Knowing who it is, I try to keep my eye contact to a minimum.

"I got you a tray as well, Eren." She hums happily, placing it on the table.

"Thanks, (y/n). You didn't have to." Eren smiles at her, gently taking her hand.

"But I wanted to." She chuckles and sits next to him. 

Noticing they weren't alone, she looks up and her eyes land on me. Not wanting to be rude or seem insouciant, I give her a small wave.

"Hello, Mizuki." She acknowledges me with a smile.

"Hello, (y/n)."

O ══════════════════ O

How did it lead to this? I continue to run, my footsteps and sobs echoing as they get louder. The sight I wanted to see the least was what my eyes showed me instead. The picture of Eren and (y/n) together flashes in my mind over and over again.

(Y/n) was one of my best friends, but she changed the day she came to know Eren. She forgot about me, she even forgot that I was the reason she had met him. Yet that reason alone has not made me hate her. I don't hate her, that is certain. Seeing your best friend and the person you love together hurts so much, right? Being just the third wheel hurts the most.

(Y/n) had everything that I don't. She had everything Eren was looking for that I can't achieve. She had the brightest smiles that I can never imitate. She has a very kind heart that even I can't be compared with. And most of all, she has that bubbly and loving personality that no one can ever come to hate. And because of that, I have realized I am nothing compared to her.

Maybe this is the right situation to say that I need to move on and forget these feelings. Eren and (y/n) are finally happy with each other and I shouldn't interfere with them. I suddenly stop running as I bump into someone. I land with a thud but a pair of arms catch me and I look up to see copper hair.

"S-Sorry."

However, he cuts me off and brings a finger to my lips to silence me. He lets me cry it all out on his chest, holding me and patting my back comfortingly.

"It's okay, Mizuki. I know how it feels to be in the third wheel. I've been there." He says as he helps me get back on my feet.

I slowly calm down and lull in his embrace.

"What did you do when you were in that situation?" I ask curiously.

He hums and clicks his tongue lightly, thinking back to those moments.

"I let her go. I know that'll make her happy. It's painful, but what else can I do?" He sighs before I slowly pull away to look at his eyes still reflecting hurt.

I nod.

"Being the third wheel can be really heartbreaking. You know how I know that's true?" He adds sadly.

I look up at him, my eyes searching for an answer.

"Because I've felt it ever since you liked Eren."