Olou ━ Misfortune

EDITED

You stood in front of the man, ready to confess your feelings. Your palms started sweating and your body was trembling. He says nothing as he looks at your blushing form staring at the ground.

"What do you want to say, brat?" He says, trying to imitate the Lance Corporal.

"J-just wanted to ask how's it g-going with P-P-Petra." You stutter, still unable to look him in the eyes. He raises his eyebrow at you.

"How many times do I have to explain the petty love triangle?" He sighs.

Oh, right. You've been reminded several times. 

"O-Oh, I forgot. I'm s-sorry for disturbing you. I'll t-take my leave." You fake a smile and turn around, not waiting for a response. As you walk away, you could hear a faint "tch" from the man.

The man you loved but couldn't muster up the courage to just tell him directly. No matter how many times you said you'll confess, you always end up stuttering and as a result, you weren't able to tell him. This was the only man who made your heart beat like it's getting ripped out of your chest. The only man who made your palms flood with sweat. The only man who was capable of making you blush even at the littlest things. It hurt knowing he was in love with Petra.

"(Y/n), how'd it go?" Sasha asks, sitting on the bunk bed you shared as she munches on a potato she stole.

"I don't know what you're talking about." You whimper, letting out a sigh before falling onto the bed.

"Aww, cheer up!" She says rubbing your back.

O ══════════════════ O

You cried in bed for days now. The fact that you were a coward saddened you deeply. Thus, this made you weak and you became sick. You were unable to attend trainings and Erwin didn't allow you to come for the 57th expedition. You were alone in your room, still crying and hoping everyone would be okay.

You were weak, unable to leave the room for the past few days. But on the night before the expedition, you wrote a letter about your feelings. You asked Sasha to give it to him for you and you knew that the moment when you'll have to come face to face with him again, you'll be rejected.

Suddenly, loud knocks on your door are heard. Almost immediately, you get up to open the door.

"(Y/n), they're back! Would you like me to escort you to them?" A fellow trainee asks, both eager and anxious to see everyone.

Your eyes light up. Your feet instantly act on their own and run toward the crowd despite the weak and wobbly sensation in your legs. In a matter of seconds, you are out in public, not even bothering to wait for the other trainee who is calling your name. Your eyes move from one cadet to the other. You breathe a sigh of relief as you see Sasha back without any injuries. The female spots you and waves at you. You wave back.

Then, the marching comes to a stop and the gates close. You could feel your heart sink at the absence of a face you were expecting to see. Could it be? Tears start to well in your eyes. You didn't want to believe it, but when Levi's gaze meets yours, the sadness in his eyes confirms the truth. You quickly run to catch up with the captain.

"Where's Olou?" Your voice cracks as you restrain a sob.

He looks at you with eyes full of pain and sorrow. Unable to say anything, he hands you a piece of paper. Taking it into your hands, you recognize it. It was the letter you gave him!

"He had it in his hands when we found his body. I'm sorry." Levi says, walking away in defeat.

Dear Auruo,

I am sorry I never had the courage to tell you face-to-face but I am in love with you. I tried to deny my feelings for you but no matter how hard I tried to conceal it, it only got stronger. I know you're in love with Petra and I know that you don't feel the same, but let me say this to you while I still can. I love you so much. Good luck on the expedition, okay? Please come back safely.

-Love, (y/n)

You wipe the tears from your eyes as you remember how difficult it was to write him the letter. However, a message scribbled underneath yours catches you off guard. Squinting your eyes, you recognize his handwriting.

"Dear (y/n),
don't be silly. I only said I liked Petra so that I would know if you liked me through your reactions. I am in love with you too. After the expedition, I'll come back and be with you. I cannot assure you of my safety but I will do my best. And if misfortunes come, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't say it personally too.
Love, Auruo."