Bertholdt ━ Truth Hurts

EDITED

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS

"N-no, you can't be serious..."

You stare horrifically at the tall man in front of you. He sighs in response. He knew he had to tell you somehow. However, he's afraid you'll never accept him for who he is, and that seems to be the case. He can't blame you for that. You've never expected him to be the reason for all these deaths after all.

"(y/n), I'm sorry. I should've-" He spoke, but you cut him off.

"You should've told me before! Why are you telling this to me now? Do you know what day it is today? It's my family's death anniversary! And... you were behind their deaths..." You trail off, sobbing.

Great going, Bertholdt.

"(y/n), I'm really sorry." He doesn't know what else to say, knowing nothing could bring them back.

"Don't come near me. I never want to see you again." You spat.

His eyes fill with concern as he takes in your messy form. Your dear and lively eyes that once held innocence now look nothing but dull and puffy.

"(y/n), please listen. The next attack on the walls will be in two days. I want you to run for Wall Sina and be safe." He pleads.

"What's the point in barricading myself with walls that serve me no purpose? How can you call it 'safe' knowing you'll be there to break it? Bertholdt, you were once my wall and secure place. I was wrong..." You laugh bitterly.

"Please don't say that, (y/n). I won't ever hurt you." He pleads.

"I can't rely on those words anymore. You broke my trust. There's no point in running and trying to live. You know what? Just kill me right here, right now." You close your eyes and wait for an impact, but it never comes.

Bertholdt didn't care what you'd do to him. He suddenly pulls you into a hug, thinking it'll be the last time he'll ever get to hold you like this. Your body goes limp at his touch, having no energy left in you to push him away.

"Bertholdt! Time to talk about the plan!" Reiner shouts from afar.

Bertholdt releases his grip on you and slowly turns away from you. You watch him leave, his footsteps echoing in your ears. Still in a trance, you miss his final gaze as he mouths, "I love you."

O ══════════════════ O

A week passes and the plan is in action. Bertholdt is in his element, smashing walls here and there. He watches Trost go downhill, buildings being demolished and civilians getting eaten. From the corner of his eye, Reiner's being a rockstar in doing his part as well.

He smiles satisfactorily at the sight before him. Everything was going according to plan.

It doesn't take long before it disappears. It's a sight to make him lose all his senses. He freezes and realizes hot tears start to flow from his eyes.

What he saw scarred him for life. What he saw was never meant to happen. In the middle of Trost lied his worst fear.

Your lifeless body. And he knew he'll never see you again for his life.