"Why would you think I have something to say?" Jade didn't need to look at Marcus to know he was grinning.

"No reason." They both fell into silence again and the longer they waited the more Jade wanted out of the small space that she was trapped inside. Jade found the silence of the small space peaceful yet chilling at the same time as she entered a world of her own as she let her mind escape her body so she could forget that she was trapped inside a small death trap.

Bored, Marcus started tapping his fingers on the rail behind him creating a very annoying tapping sound in the small space.

Trying her best to ignore the sound of the tapping Jade clenched her teeth together and clenched her fist before groaning and facing Marcus.

"Can you stop?" She raised her voice and Marcus looked at her with that smug grin and she wanted nothing more than to wipe off his face.

"Why is it annoying?" He tapped his finger against the rail again as Jade ground her teeth together as her skin felt like bugs were crawling underneath it that she wanted to scratch out.

"Yes, so please stop." She said through clenched teeth trying to control her anger. Marcus ignored her request and kept tapping until she snapped. 

"Can you fucking stop!" She yelled out and her voice bounced off the four walls that were keeping her trapped inside. Her breathing became laboured as her mind took her back to a different place when she was younger and she was trapped inside a small space with the single sound of pipes tapping against each other as she begged her mother to let her out.

Jade looked around only to find the four walls closing in on her as her heart began to beat faster as chills ran up her arms.

"What do you think you are doing?" Jade questioned as Marcus sat down next to her and took her cold hand into his warm ones.

"You're shaking." He stated, and it was then that Jade noticed that her hands had a tremble in them from being stuck in the confined space. She had been focusing all her energy on being angry that she didn't note the way her body was reacting to being trapped in such a small space. Jade knew if she was paying attention to her body then she wouldn't be about to go into the panic attack she knew was coming.

"Try to breathe Jade, take some deep breaths with me ok." Despite Marcus being an ass, Jade followed his instructions taking deep breaths until her heart stopped racing and her body stopped shaking. Even though her panic had subsided Marcus didn't let go of her hands as they both sat in the quiet elevator.

"Talk to me." He asked after she calmed down. The serenity in his voice made Jade almost sigh, but she restrained herself.

"What would you like me to say? My mother used to lock me in a small room with nothing, but the sound of a dripping pipe whenever I misbehaved." Jade closed her eyes the memory almost still fresh like it had happened yesterday. 

The room was always cold and wet. Jade remembered it smelled of mould which she was sure was growing in the small space. She remembered the single pipe that ran along the back wall where water used to drip onto creating an echoing sound in the silent room. Shaking her head, she tried not to think about how she used to scream for help or anyone to come to take her away, but no one ever listened to her cries or pleas.

She looked over to Marcus to see he was sitting still as if he was lost in his own train of thoughts.

"Marcus, you can let go of my hands now." She tried to release her hands from his, but he kept a tight grip on them. Not enough to hurt her, but tight enough she couldn't let go without struggling.

Marcus looked down at his hand in wonderment as if they were the most magical thing on the earth being in Jades keeping them warm. He couldn't remember the last time he had contact with a female that wasn't a one-night stand. He knew Jade differed from the other girls he normally slept with. She had a fire to her that ignited him from the inside out, her quick wit and snarky comments, from anyone else would piss him off, but he loved pushing her buttons just so he could get a response out of her.