Chapter 48

Chapter 48

Listen to this music when the date starts 

****

When Jade slowly regained consciousness she knew where she was. Opening her eyes to the white ceiling and fluorescent lighting told her she was in the hospital. She sighed softly and closed her eyes wishing she could just go back to sleep. She opened them again and rubbed her hands over her face aware of the needles that were sticking out of her arm.

She looked over to her left and saw Marcus asleep in the chair next to her bed. He looked so young, and peaceful when he slept that Jade didn't want to wake him up. He was dressed as if he was going out and she felt upset with herself that she had caused him to miss out on catching up with his friends.

She felt no pain in her body, but she wasn't surprised. She felt dead on the inside like her whole life was worth nothing. She reached up and ran her fingers through his soft brown hair and watched as he slowly blinked his eyes open.

"Hey." Her voice was raspy and dry, but it didn't seem to bother her. She watched as he blinked a few times before gently grabbing her hand.

"Hey. How you are feeling?" Jade shrugged her shoulders and looked down at her legs underneath the white blanket.

"I didn't try to kill myself. I just wanted to feel something, or anything. I didn't even feel any pain, so I didn't realise how deep the wound was." She looked up at Marcus underneath her lashes and saw him kiss her hand.

"I know Jade." Neither of them said anything as they waited for the doctor to come and check on Jade. She knew what the hospital wanted to do, but she needed them to know she didn't try and kill herself and that she was getting better.

"Good morning Jade, it is good to see you awake." The doctor said happily as he walked into the room with another doctor. "This is doctor Linfield and she will be doing an evaluation on you today." Jade frowned and looked at Marcus who also had a frown on his face.

"I thought we discussed that Jade psychologist would be doing the evaluation," Marcus said, and Jade looked at him and back to the doctors.

"Mr Blackwood, we understand that, but it is hospital policy we do an evaluation in the case of a suicide event." They talked as if she wasn't there and she crossed her arms and looked down at her lap.

"I didn't try and kill myself." She whispered, but it was like no one heard her, so she closed her eyes and rested her head on the pillow. She listened to them talk about her and waited until they would finally address her.

"Jade?" The doctor questioned, and she finally opened her eyes to see them looking at her.

"You have finished talking about me as if I wasn't here?" She looked really looked at the doctor and saw how young he was. Most likely this was his first year working in the hospital.

"I apologise Jade." He said as his ears went red from embarrassment.

"Look. You can't keep me here. I only want to talk to Helen and after that, I want to be discharged. I didn't try and kill myself it was honestly an accident, so you technically can't keep me here." The young doctor went to say something when the other doctor whose name she couldn't remember tapped his shoulder, whispered something to him and watched as they left.

Once they had left, Jade rested her head back onto her pillow and closed her eyes again. She could hear Marcus come and sit beside her and felt as he grabbed her hand again. She knew he wanted to ask why she did it, but he also knew that wasn't what Jade wanted to do at the moment.

Jade must have dozed off because when she woke again she could hear hushed whispers in her room. When she opened her eyes she saw Helen and Marcus talking to each other.