A Storm is Coming - Chapter 12

༺ ¤○•° Sharay °•○¤ ༻

I could feel a change in the air pressure and noticed subtle hints on the water that the wind was picking up. In fact, unlike before when the direction had been fairly steady, the windy was now beginning to come in minor gusts and burst.

"Jaebeom, be careful as the wind is changing speed and direction. Take it slowly and you'll do just fine. Remember that if the wind increases in strength and it is too much for you, just let go of your sheet hand and just keep the hand closest to the mast on the boom."

Fortunately, Jaebeom seemed to have a really good feel for how to compensate for the gusts of wind and didn't pull back too much only to find that the wind had died down a bit. Had he not compensated, he would have spent a good deal of time in the water.

Though we were only a couple hundred yards off shore, it still took us a good 20 minutes to return to where my mom and brother were. Jaebeom did fall in a couple of times and once was catapulted from the board when the wind increased for a moment unexpectedly. His board continued forward quite a ways, and with the tide it was moving farther from him even still, so I swung around and towed him on the back of my board by having him lay with his upper torso on the stern and his feet dragging in the water behind until we caught up with his board and rig.

 His board continued forward quite a ways, and with the tide it was moving farther from him even still, so I swung around and towed him on the back of my board by having him lay with his upper torso on the stern and his feet dragging in the water ...

As we got to shore, my mom came to help him exit from the water. I did a beach landing, having pulled up my centerboard as I neared the shore. That wasn't something Jaebeom was quite ready for yet. As I hauled by board and rig ashore, I noticed that Mom and Daniel had packed everything up and had taken it all to the car already. As usual, my mom was one step ahead of everyone else.

"Jaebeom, your phone was ringing a number of times and I also heard you get a number of messages. Not long ago I got a call too. It was Mr. Park. He was trying to get hold of you and when he couldn't get through, he called me," my mom informed him.

Jaebeom looked worried. Apparently that was unlike JYP to call that many times, much less to call someone else to make sure he got the word. We exchanged glances.

"There's been a change of plans. Why don't you call him while Sharay, Daniel, and I get the boards and rigs ready for loading up on the Excursion?" she suggested in a way that gave no room for discussion.

"I'm sure he can wait a bit while I help," Jaebeom offered.

"No. Call him. You need to hear this from him now. We have a lot to do and not much time to get it done. Just say 네 and do it," was the instruction he received.

Jaebeom was noticeably dragging his feet about calling his boss, but still responded, "네 어머니" and took out his phone to place his call. I figured it must be important since it was 3 am in Korea and apparently waiting until a normal time wasn't an option.

"Mom? What's going on?" I asked as we folded up the sails after removing them from their masts. "Jaebeom looks very agitated," I noted as I looked to see him carrying on a very animated phone conversation just far enough away that I couldn't make out what was being said. Even if I had been able to understand Korean, the speed was seriously rushed and I realized that Jaebeom had been speaking more clearly when instructing me than he was now, which was his usual relaxed almost mumbled speech pattern.