Running Partners - Chapter 6

⊱ ♫ ────── ⋆Jaebeom⋆ ────── ♫ ⊰

I woke at about 8am and walked into the kitchen only to spot Sam in the living room doing some stretches. He was dressed in shorts, a T-shirt, and tennis shoes.

"Are you off for a run?" I asked.

"I wish." He responded. "I tend to walk these days as my knees aren't what they used to be. You're welcome to join me if you like. If you want a running partner, you'll need to see if Sharay is game. Anytime Daniel's here, he will always jump at the chance to go for a run, just be warned, he talks the entire time and never shuts up.

Sam chuckled as he made this last comment about his son. It was said with love and affection, and no sign of belittling the kid. I admired that, as I regularly struggled with Jackson's incessant talking and often came across as overly critical which would lead to him feeling bad about himself.

"I'd love a running partner." I glanced towards the closed door of Sharay's room. "I just don't know how rested she is. She was up later than I was working on my vocabulary list and I don't know when she finally turned in."

"There's only one thing to do then," Sam said inclining his head towards his daughter's room. "Rap on the door and poke your head in and ask her."

I raised my eyebrows questioning the wisdom of this, but did as indicated.

KNOCK.KNOCK. KNOCK. No response. I looked back at Sam and he gave me a smile and a nod.

Opening the door, I could see Sharay sprawled out on her bed. She was sound asleep. Remembering how she was in the car I doubted calling her name or knocking on the door would accomplish much, but I called out, "Sharay? Want to go for a run?"

Nothing. Why was I not surprised? I turned as if to leave and caught Sam's eye.

"Young man, you will have to be more assertive than that with my daughter. She sleeps like the dead and is strong-willed when awake. Being tentative will get you nowhere at best and potentially run over at worst. Go gently shake her and see if she stirs. Use your instincts. Imagine you are waking a hibernating bear." At that he chortled, mostly to himself, at the picture. "Be gentle, but firm. Let's see what you've got," he challenged me.

Her father said this with a twinkle in his eye and a smile playing on his lips. I wasn't sure if I was being set up or if he was trying to help. As I turned back and looked at Sharay, I made a decision and moved into the room, leaving the door ajar to avoid Sam suspecting I had ulterior motives.

Sharay?" I asked up close. Nothing. I bent over, not getting too close and repeated my question. The girl stirred ever so slightly. "Sharay? Would you be willing to go for a run with me? I don't want to get lost in the neighborhood and really need to run so I can enjoy more of those fantastic blue cookies you bake."

She stirred again. This time there was some vocalization. I doubt it was really anything in particular, but I was encouraged to continue.

"If you and your mom keep feeding me so well I'll be a butterball in no time if I don't get some exercise. 제발?" I implored. "Will you go for a run with me?"

Slowly, very slowly, Sharay opened her eyes. She had left the blinds to her window open last night and, though the view was blocked by a purple flowering Bougainville, sunlight streamed in and flashed off her green eyes. She blinked a few times as if trying to wake and get her bearings.

"What? What were you asking?" she croaked, her voice still not fully functioning.

She cleared her throat, rubbed her eyes and then she stretched. The girl stretched in a way I've only ever seen a cat stretch. It was slow, deliberate, and done in a way that showed she was feeling every muscle and tendon in her body wake from slumber.