1.11 The 107th

[November 1943]

[Italy]

When Kat first heard that Steve was coming to the base where she was stationed, she wanted to know when. She had never been more excited to see him. Kat had never told Steve where she was due to it being top secret and that she was constantly being moved around. Steve thought she was still in London.

When the SSR arrived in Italy and learned that a large portion of the 107th had been captured, Laila began frantically searching for Bucky. Letters from her lover had come to a halt not long before the SSR had arrived at the base, worrying Laila. He hadn't sent one in over two weeks and he was on a pretty normal schedule with how he sent them.

With every new arrival of injured soldiers, Laila hoped that they were Bucky, but it was never the case. She had began to lose hope, but didn't want to accept that possibility that he had died.

But their current situation didn't allow for Laila to grieve. She and Kat stood at the side of the crowd, awaiting for Steve to appear on stage. They watched as the USO girls pranced around, singing, while what remained of the 107th cheered, some making comments that made the two women cringe.

The cheers soon came to a halt when Steve appeared on stage. The moment Kat's eyes landed on him, she felt as if her heart had stopped, "How many of you are ready to help me sock old Adolf on the jaw?" Silence, "Okay. Uh...I need a volunteer."

"I already volunteered! How do you think I got here?" One soldier yelled, causing the crowd of soldiers to laugh.

"Bring back the girls!" Another exclaimed, the soldiers cheering along with him.

Steve looked off to the side of the stage, "I think they only know the one song, but, um, let me, uh, I'll see what I can do."

"You do that sweetheart." Another soldier taunted.

"Nice boots, Tinker Bell!" Commented another.

"Pathetic." Laila growled. She looked over at Kat, who seemed to be in a trance. Laila nudged her. Kat broke her gaze from Steve to Laila, "You alright?" Kat only nodded.

"Come on, guys, we're all on the same team here." Steve spoke into the mic.

"Hey, Captain! Sign this!" A soldier stood up, turned around, and pulled down his pants.

They all began cheering for that. Then they began throwing food at him.

"Bring back the girls!" They screamed as Steve exited the stage.

"What terrible human beings." Laila said, "Poor Steve."

"I'm gonna...I'm gonna go find him." Kat told her.