Gossip #23:

Michelle put one neatly shaved-and-luminizing leg over the other, the edge of her velvet red heels gently skimming over the desk.

She grabbed the last sheet she had worked on and tossed it over and above into the trashcan. She didn’t have time to be doodling over her paper. She didn’t to have someone swing a binder across her head to keep her awake in preparation for the party.

The party she had to host.

The party that was supposedly dated only five more afternoons away.

“Tell him,” Michelle started. “The walls have to be suede. That’s the tradition.”

“But he renovated into tile,” Perrie objected, a hand right below her butt. “He’s not going to change the place to suede.”

Michelle sighed, irritated. “Look, if you want credit in this project, have your Dad change the building again.”

There was this exasperated look on Perrie’s face as she nodded, her hands lingering over the back pocket where her phone was. Perrie had one of those old school one’s, the ones that required you to actually search for the call button instead of speaking it. It was ridiculous. At least to Michelle, it was.

“What are you doing?” Michelle snapped, putting her feet down as a couple fraternity boys walked by. “Call him now!”

Perrie reluctantly brought the phone up to her ear, chewing mercilessly on her lower lip. She swallowed the peach gloss off as she walked over to the corner, a hand over the other ear. Even though it was nearly dead silent outside.

The Skylight students were perched over and around the desk, Michelle in centre, controlling the event. They were planning the night from the beginning to end, like how they always had. Michelle would have been so happy and taking things so smoothly for events. She was naturally social and always hosted larger events, but it seemed like the Cocoa and Rouge was a slightly more bitter take on the annual Skylights Welcoming Hostess Party.

Every year, a woman was elected the year before to become the organizer for the party. Michelle had been planner for three years straight which was strongly iconic for Skylights since the original rules were, developed in ninety seventy six, that the organizers must be seniors. But Michelle had never failed to impress the guests, and in fact, her very last party had made it as the best Hostess Party of the entire decade, with one of her previous parties running up second and third.

But, she was going to make sure, that this party broke the records on the books. And how? She wasn’t going to add in more bucks to make the main event run. She wasn’t going to gift her guests credit cards and Gucci socks as part of their goody bags. The goody bags were staying traditional-Fendi handbags. What wasn’t staying traditional was the inside scoop on this year’s Welcoming Hostess Party.

She slipped the printed picture of her and Daniel, the summer before, when they had their arms wrapped around each other, perched over a tree, under her butt, hoping the girls wouldn’t notice. They were practically burnt under the sun, a reviving glow under Michelle’s pinker skin. There was sparkle in Daniel’s teal eyes, and Michelle’s glossy dark hair reflected pearls from the bright Jamaican light. Michelle was wearing a beautiful blue topaz necklace over a pairing sundress with a pair of gifted glasses from the Ann Wellington inspired collection from Kat Von for the summer. Daniel had the khaki pants and the shirt from her mother’s collection with a scarf wrapped around the two of them, gluing them together.

They had looked like a couple. She had looked like the happiest girl in the world and he had looked like the luckiest boy around the globe. There were two sparkling smiles on their naturally gorgeous faces and they looked like the It Couples you see on page six of any fashion catalogue. And they were.