Growing Ever Closer

Stretching and feeling the pleasant pop and crack of my shoulders I headed down the street ready to get my saturday morning breakfast in my new favourite café, it was small but so was everything in this town and I liked that. The food was in no way as good as the food in the mansion growing up but then the cooks were not five star trained, a small smile grew on my face at the pleasant memories the café food brought; before my father remarried he would treat me to a café breakfast every birthday and it had been a treasured memory. I felt my smile slip as I frowned thinking back to after we moved into the mansion, both my new mother and brother refused to let me eat the lower class food as they called it; having the chef make me a special spread on my birthday instead. But it wasn't the same and as I rounded the corner and went into the café the smell of greasy food and freshly made coffee floated around me, instantly bringing me out of my memories and into the comfortable atmosphere of the small café. "Morning sweetie! Want the usual?" Smiling at the older woman behind the register I laughed lightly moving to steal the comfortable arm chair and table at the back side window, it gave me a view of the main street but wasn't fully visible giving me a great look out to enjoy my food from. "Please May, but can I have some honey to go in my tea today please? My sweet tooth is kicking in again" My light reply only got me a light shake of the older woman's head, her pale blonde hair shining in the morning light as she turned to collect a small tea pot. May had owned this café for years from what I had gathered from the other locals and she was a mother hen, from day one she was warm and welcoming whenever I came into the café even if it was for a fresh cake on my lunch break; which I found she was overly motherly chastising me on how too much sugar would make me sick. Sitting down in the fabric chair I let myself breath easy as I looked outside and took in the cars coming and going, blinking when I saw someone I recognised all too well. The ebony skinned woman was dressed in a black trouser suit with her black hair laying in an impossibly flat sheet down to her back, she was looking around with a map and photo in her hand making my chest tighten; I didn't need to see the photo to know it was of me as she began speaking to a local man.

Tina had been working for the black family since I could remember but never used a last name, she was the best of the best and if something could be found she was the one to find it; which meant she was here for one reason. When a small tray was set in front of me with my tea and side of milk sugar and honey I turned blinking at May, her eyes watching me with worry as she looked me over; I must have looked bad for her to watch me like this. "You ok sweetie? You look like you've seen a ghost" Mentally I agreed because I had seen the worst ghost possible, but I managed to stop the words coming out as I swallowing forcing a weak smile on my face. "Yeah, I just don't feel good all of a sudden. I think I will just have tea today. Settle my stomach and then go home" May murmured and of course before moving to tell the cook to cancel my food, she was far too understanding and trusting to question me and that was for the best right now. Letting eyes look outside I found Tina gone and the dread in me built, instantly my hand went into my pocket pulling out the phone I had for emergencies dialling the only number saved inside; putting it to my ear as my breathing increased as I tried and failed to calm down when I couldn't see the Tina anywhere in the main street. As soon as the line connected I spoke, my voice calm but the undeniable urgency clear to hear; for the person on the other end of the line to hear anyway. "She is here, she's found me!" There was a moment of silence and for a moment I panicked that no one was listening, but then the same calm deep voice answered me that had always been able to calm me with its familiarity. "Slow down, who found you Y/N? And did they see you?" I took a few deep breathes not wanting to seem out of norm to anyone in the café, it would only draw attention to me and that was the last thing I needed right now. "Tina, its Tina. She is stopping people in town with a ma and a picture, and I don't need to see it to know she is looking for me. And if she is here-" There wasn't a chance for me to finish before he cut me off his tone deeper than before as he took charge instantly setting me at ease.