Safe Heaven Under Threat

Reader Warning :

This chapter includes some swearing

***********************************************************************

Yawning as I stretched from the desk chair I rubbed my hands over my eyes in frustration, it had been six weeks since I moved to my new home and Nickolas and Harry had been relentless ever since. The first week they constantly tried to contact me but each time unless it was genuinely about work matters I cut off the line, by week two they began to call as well almost sounding desperate each time they tried to bring up topics other than work. When it finally sank in they couldn't they began switching back and forth, one day they were pleasant and caring when they spoke with me and others harsh and commanding; and on top of that they hadn't dismissed me from my role in the family businesses. And they made sure I was busy, even now I was struggling to get my work done on time; if it was late it gave Nickolas and Harry an excuse to call and see me on the line due to it being work related. So I worked Monday to Friday work hours and then took Saturday off cutting off the power to my office, and on Sunday I opened the line to Nickolas and Harry for an hour; sighing I remembered giving in to Nickolas agreeing to it. I frowned gently at my keyboard at the memory; he had brung up my promise to father that I wouldn't leave him alone; he knew it would strike a nerve. I had almost lost my composure and shouted at him when he accused me of breaking that promise, I had never and would never break a promise; it was why I rarely made them because once made I would not ever go back on it. The low humming ring broke me from my thoughts as the line opened turning on the screen on the wall opposite me, I glared at the smaller screen in front of me asking for permission to connect the call; I wasn't in the mood to talk to either of them right now but when I glanced at the time I found it was four fifty two. It was still working hours for eight minutes, growling under my breath I pushed the button to connect the call walking to stand in front of the screen so I could be seen; looking up aware that I looked tired with my face set in a calm mask I had learned to use whenever I had to talk with either my brother or Harry.

Looking at the screen I took in Nickolas as the he stood hands down at his sides, his face in a scowl his eyes hard and unforgiving as he narrowed them on me. I mentally shivered at how he was watching me, he was dressed in a black expensive suit, a golden clip holding his tie in place; his hair only slightly tamed from its natural unruly look. I let my eyes flicker around the office behind him and found he was alone from what I could see, and I was thankful for that not knowing if I could cope with both of them right now. Opening my mouth ready to ask why he called I was cut off before a single sailable left my mouth, the cold harsh tone of Nickolas's voice piercing the air; and ust like that I realised there was not going to be any gentleness from him today. "Have you completed the Jamison project presentation?" I wanted to growl at him for sending me that work, it was almost impossible to finish with help but I had to make it alone as I could not contact anyone in the company without risking them trying to trace the connection to me; and I wasn't sure if this line was secure to other places nor would I risk it. "The presentation and notes is finished and has already been sent to the team assigned to the Jamison account. However I highly object to being responsible for making the presentation, not only is it unfair to set that work load to one person; but it is also not in my job description to do those presentations" I tried to keep my voice steady and hide my annoyance but it seeped into my voice and I felt my eye brows fall into a deep frown. Nickolas however changed in an instant, his harder demeanour melting into a smug piercing look as a smirk grew on his lips as they drew upwards. His hands left to come up behind him as he seemed to hold them against his mid back, his entire body becoming more dominant and his eyes almost glowing in sick delight. "Well you know that could be easily changed, your work load could go back to or less than it previously was. All you have to do is be a good girl and come home" Huffing in annoyance I folded my arms under my breasts pushing them up as a result, I ignored the fact my clothing revealed more than it once did.