Chapter 33

I hardly slept that night. I kept getting up to check on Aiden. Every time I did Leah scolded me like a little kid.

I appreciated her protectiveness but I couldn't help it. As a mother I have an instinct to protect my baby. I was going to do that no matter what anyone said.

But Leah only wanted what was best for me and I love her dearly for that. Most think she's a bitter woman who only cares about her self but she is so much more.

The ones who say that about her are the ones who don't know her as well as the rest of us do. She was really nice once you got to know her.

The guys finally came in at 11 am. They looked exhausted. I walked down the stairs with Leah not far behind me. She had but Aiden in his crib.

Jake scooped me up in his arms. "Thank God your alright." He whispered quietly. If it weren't for my wolf hearing I wouldn't have heard him.

"Where's Aiden?" He asked. "Upstairs asleep. What is going on Jacob?" I asked him. If he was worried about my and Aiden's safety something is very wrong.

"There's a leech in the area. The guys caught the sent last night. He kept coming closer and closer here." Jake said. His hands were shaking. I took them in mine.

"We don't know what he wants. We chased him all the way into Canada." Sam explained. I pulled Jake closer to me in the hopes that he'd calm down.

"We'll come back by later." Sam said. "Ok. You guys go home and rest." I said. They all nodded as they walked out the door.

I made Leah go home too. I tried to calm down Jake down as best I could. He was a nervous reck.

"I don't know what I would've done if that leech had come here and-" I put my fingers to his lips before he could continue.

"Nothing is going to happen to us Jake. I promise." I assured him. He looked at me like he was going to cry. I hated seeing him like this.

"I can't loose you two. I don't know what I'd do if something ever happened." He said. I wiped a stray tear as it rolled down his cheek.

"Nothing is going to happen to us Jake. I'm not going anywhere. Neither is Aiden." I said. He buried face in my neck.

I rubbed his back soothingly. You always think men are made of steel. Nothing bothers them. In reality they have feelings just like women do.

"What can I do Jake? Tell me what you want me to do." I said. "Just lay with me please." He begged.

We went up to our bedroom. I laid down beside Jake. He wrapped his arms around me protectively. "I just need you in my arms." He said.

"Rest Jacob. I'm not going anywhere." I said kissing his lips. His tired eyes finally shut. He drifted off into a peaceful slumber.

I dozed off myself. I was awakened by the cries of my son. I quickly went down the hall to check on him. His cries stopped as soon as I picked him up.

He just wanted to be held. "Come on baby boy lets go wake up daddy." I cooed. Normally I wouldn't wake Jake up but he needs to see that we're alright.

"Daddy.... wake up." I said placing little kisses on Jake's face. Jake groaned. I continued to kiss his face until he opened his eyes.

"I see my two trouble makers are up." He said. I fake gasped and put my hand over my heart. "Us troublemakers? Never." I said.

Aiden was laying between Jake and I. "Hey little man. Is mama keeping you up?" Jake cooed. "No he wanted to check on you." I said.

"Uh huh." He teases. "Aiden tell daddy we just wanted to make sure he was ok." I said. Aiden made a little squeaking noise.

"See told ya." I said to Jake. "Aww well thank you babies." He said pecking my lips. He dipped his head down and kissed the top of Aiden's head.

I could tell this was making him feel a little bit better. He knows now that Aiden and I are fine. He knows we're safe with him.

"Daddy loves you so so much little man." Jake cooed as he held Aiden close to him. "Mama loves you too baby boy." I said kissing his cheek.

"Thank you for calming me down babe." Jake said. "Well I can't have you all stressed out now can I?" I asked.

"No I guess not." He chuckled. I gently kissed his lips. Aiden made another little squeak. "Are you jealous baby?" I cooed.

"He just wants mama and daddy's attention to be on him is all." Jake said peppering kisses on Aiden's tiny face.

I giggled. We laid there for another hour before the guys came back by. I sat on the couch with Jake. I was feeding Aiden.

"We'll do patrols around here in case the leech comes back." Sam said. "I can't ask you guys to do that. I'm not going to let you run yourselves ragged." I said.

"You don't have to ask us to do anything. We're doing this to ensure your and Aiden's safety." Sam said.

"You know I'm a wolf too." I said. "Yes but you just had a baby and he is your number 1 priority now. We'll watch your back until this leech problem dies down." Paul said.

I felt like a helpless little girl. I could take care of myself. I'm a wolf too and I've fought leeches before.

But this just wasn't about me anymore. This was about my son and his safety. If I need to hold back from being a wolf to protect him then that's what I'll do.

Jake wrapped his arms around us protectively. I buried my face in his neck.

I was worried about him. I was worried about the pack. I didn't want them to exhaust themselves just to keep me and Aiden safe.

But that's what you do in a pack. You look after each other. This was more than just a pack. This was a family.

"I'm gonna head out on patrol with Sam." Jake said. "Please be careful." I said. He pecked my lips.

"I will." He said. He kissed Aiden's cheek before walking out the door with Sam. I held Aiden close to me.

"Don't worry Abby. We'll keep both of you safe." Embry said hugging me.

But who was going to keep you guys safe? I prayed for their protection. And I prayed this whole thing would end and soon.