Chapter 15

It was late at night but he was still awake and working on his recent case. He had considered the suggestion of his sister Maya about checking the unseen connection among the victims. He had to find something that was common in all of them but not public. He had reviewed the case file again and realized that the person who was behind those murders was surely not a sadist or psychopath. The victims were not tortured at all just one bullet through the head. All the bullets were off the same caliber and looked like they were fired from the same gun. The killer was not fond of creating mess in fact in none of the cases anyone ever heard a gunshot. That was like an invisible killer and a professional hit with precision. But in most of the cases the bullet was fired from a short distance meaning the killer was right in front of them while killing them. But the fact that nobody saw him suggested that he was not working alone he needed to have some alliances to become invisible.

He had also done research on the background of the victims and by digging deeper and using his resources he had got a new perspective to see the matter. It turned out that those victims were not only just high business men and personal of the society but were connected to the mafia, underworld or black market in some way. They had surely pissed off someone regarding their criminal businesses which had got them killed. Since their rivals who got them killed were influential individuals too so no one was able to point fingers towards them plus those deals that got them killed where illegal and not public.

He had become sure that those were the works of a professional assassin and surely an assassin of higher rank. He picked up his phone and dialed the number of one of his informers. The person picked up at the third ring.

"Hello!" the person said in a sleepy voice.

"Meet me tomorrow in the bar at usual time." Shehryar said to the person.

"Can you tell me what this is about so that I can come prepared?" the other person inquired.

"It's about assassins." He replied.

"Okay I will be there tomorrow." The man replied.

"Okay. Bye." He replied and cut the call.

He was one of his best informants and he had given him a lot of information related to mobs and underworld. He was a player who played for money and no specific person but since Shehryar had once saved him he had respect for him.

He was tired of working late but did not want to sleep so he decided to make himself a cup of coffee. He remembered he used to love coffee with brownies. His mother used to make them for him but after she was gone, he had not eaten brownies because they did not taste the same anymore. Maybe it was the love of his mother that had developed that taste. When he got up and looked outside the window after folding the curtains there was a thunderstorm there. He had mixed feelings for the thunderstorms. He liked them because they showed the storm inside him and he hated them because they took away his most precious person but they were not the real culprit in his eyes.

At that moment he was frustrated by all the thinking related to the work so he was finding them peaceful. He made himself coffee, went to the balcony and sat in the shade. He was observing the lighting of the thunder at the sky. It was a terrifying yet beautiful manifestation of the nature. There was heavy rain and wind that was making noises which were scary for most of the people but for him they were calming him like a lullaby. He put his cup aside and stepped out of the shade in the rain to feel it while closing his eyes. "Rain can wash away your pain." The voice of his mother rang in his head. His mother used to love thunderstorms and rain and he had inherited that from her. "If it really does wash away the pain then why it is not washing away mine?" He thought to himself. It had rained at the funeral of his mother and he had stayed in the rain for a long time just to wash away his pain but that never happened. He still used to get himself soaked in rain in the hope of washing away the pain. He knew his mother was not lying but he was not able to understand that why not rain was taking away his pain like it used to do before that incident. He did not know sometimes pain travels to our soul and gets rooted in there and to wash away that pain no thunderstorm can help only the persons themselves can. He knew only forgiveness could save him but he did not want to forgive not for his own sake. He wanted the real culprit to suffer even if that meant that he would be suffering too. After a few minutes he went inside and after changing his clothes went to his bed. He was far from the valley of sleep and his mind was drifted to that fateful night when he lost everything that he really cared about.