Day Eight

Hi there! Today is the first day of the second week of our Spiritual Scavenger Hunt! Before I show you our activity today, I’m going to introduce our theme for the week and touch on what it means. 

Our theme for week 2 is: Back to Basics. What does this mean? It means that we’re going to be focusing on discovering or uncovering our inner kid. We’re going to be doing simple, fun, childlike activities. Our goal for this week is to calm down our minds and shut out the busyness of everyday life to focus on one light action or activity. Children tend to have innocent minds, and we’re going to be hunting for our own innocence and simplicity throughout the week. 

My hope is that as you do these activities, you find yourself having fun and just forgetting about the negativity of the world around you. Hopefully, you can apply the techniques you use to escape the busyness of life to your own mind and learn to step away from the swirling thoughts that might get you down. Of course, praying and reading the Bible is the best way to calm your mind! This hunt is in no ways trying to replace those essentially vital activities, but rather, to go alongside them as you move closer towards your goal. 

Okay, enough of my babble! Today’s activity is: Play outside. It doesn’t matter where, it doesn’t matter when, and it doesn’t matter how! Fly a kite, play at the nearest park, hula hoop, roll around in the grass. The point is to get away from the computer screen, get some fresh air, and relax your mind. And, of course, to play! Don’t worry about what other people might think of you. I still to this day enjoy a good wagon ride! In fact, if there are other people around, you might learn another important lesson; the world may think you’re crazy, but you don’t belong to this world. You belong to Jesus. 

It’s important that you don’t bring any electronics with you. No-no! Focus on relaxing yourself. Focus on letting that kid inside of you come out again! Praise God for His promise that Jesus has overcome the world and that you can overcome the rush of life, the negativity, the stress. You can overcome it all. 

You just need to take some time to focus on God, focus on the little beautiful things in life, focus on being quiet, focus on being childlike.

In your reflection journal, write some different ways that you plan to escape the hustle and bustle this week, and then be prepared to take some of these steps tomorrow!