Day Five

Hi there! It’s good to see you again. Today is the 5th day of our spiritual scavenger hunt! The week is starting to wind down, but we’re still just getting fired up! 

Before we really get started today, I wanted to offer a gentle reminder that it’s a good idea to take breaks throughout the day. The scavenger hunt is focused on doing something new every day, but don’t stress yourself or push yourself if you can’t maintain this schedule. If you’re spending your only down time of the day doing this activity, I’d suggest spending that time in prayer or reading your Bible instead. You can definitely make your own schedule for completing the various activities. The point isn’t when you’re doing them but the fact that you /are/ doing them. I only suggest every day because I love seeing the spiritual growth that can place by doing focus-area-activities every day. You know yourself better than I do, though! If it works for you to wait until the weekend and then spread out the activities of the week on Saturday and Sunday, go right ahead! Or, if you’d prefer to only do one activity a week, that’s fine too! 

Now, let’s get back to our hunt, shall we? This week we’ve been learning all about what it means to give without a name. So far, we’ve been focusing a lot on writing things down or drawing pictures. Various little notes and smiles-on-paper to give anonymously. Today, we’re going to shift it around a little. Our goal for today is to do as many anonymous good deeds as we can. 

See, the activities over the past few days have mostly made an emotional impact. The people who have found our tiny blessings likely smiled and felt a little better inside in some way. Today, we’re going to make a physical impact - which can also make an emotional impact as well. Really, in the end, spreading love is spreading love and it all leaves you with the best feeling inside, but why not spread love in multiple ways? 

Let’s start in the neighborhood. How many different opporunities for good deeds can you find? You can set yourself a goal if you’d like, but even one good deed makes a positive difference in the world! Not sure where to start? Does a neighbors lawn need mowing/driveway need shoveling (depending on what climate you live in/what time you're reading this)? Is there garbage on the ground that should be put into a can or recycled? Are there objects on the sidewalk that could make people trip or could be a choking hazard to animals that you can remove? If you’re not seeing opportunities in your neighborhood, keep walking, and always have your eyes open. Be on the prowl! 

Once you find something, or many things if you can, return back home and turn a new page in your reflection book. Your daily questions to consider for today are;

1. Why is every little effort important, no matter how small? 

2. What Bible verses can you think of that mention doing good deeds or being kind to others?

3. Do you feel the same each time you complete a good deed, or does it differ depending on what it is? (Remember, there are no right or wrong answers!)

Thank you for completing 5 days with me so far, we’ll be climbing on to 6 tomorrow!