Chapter Thirty-Seven

Last chapter! :( I'm going to miss this story. The epilogue will (hopefully) be up this weekend also. The link to Miley's interview is on the side in case you don't believe me. xx

Zayn was pacing. He had walked back and forth at least twenty times so far, waiting for the other boys to be there before he went out on the stage. The show hadn’t started yet, but the time was getting closer, and his nerves were increasing the longer he had to wait. Liam watched him, his eyes moving as Zayn paced. He was getting dizzy just looking at him. After three more rounds, he reached out and grabbed his hand to stop him, pressing a kiss to his fingers.

“Babe, you need to relax.”

He bit his lip. The door creaked open, only to reveal one of the main cameramen, who gave him a sheepish smile and moved past them in order to return to his post. With a frown, Zayn turned his head back to his boyfriend, setting his hand on top of his and shaking his head.

“I can’t help it that I’m nervous, love. I had this dream that was exactly like this except you were laughing and the boys were laughing and, shit, the fans were smothering me and they hated me.” He looked up with pained eyes. “What if they really hate me? What am I even supposed to say? Where the fuck are the lads?”

“Babe,” Liam raised an eyebrow and tugged on his hands gently, bringing him back down so he was sitting beside him. If he could have been sure that there were no cameras on them, he would have brought him right to his lap, but that definitely wouldn’t help the situation if someone else was really watching. With the arm closest to Zayn, he wrapped it around him, rubbing small circles into his back as Zayn put his head in his hands. Even his breathing was off; instead of being smooth and even, it was choppy and shallow. “The fans will understand. Tell them as much or as little as you want, and if you don’t want to tell them the whole thing, that’s fine too.” He moved to kiss his temple. “They should be here any second. Louis and Niall grabbed the first flights here that they could.”

Zayn muttered something unintelligible under his breath and tucked his head into his neck, hot breath tickling his skin. “It’s the moment of truth. I don’t think I’ve ever been more nervous.”

“It’s going to be fine.”

An assistant called his name, then, and he immediately went rigid. Liam stood up with an encouraging look on his face, but as Zayn got to his feet, panic struck him. “Wait, the other boys, they aren’t—“

“I’ll text Harry right now and see where they are. You have me, baby.” Liam reminded him, patting at his arm gently.

Zayn took a deep breath and nodded. He had Liam. As long as he had his boyfriend by his side, everything was going to be alright. Of course, he wasn’t going to be on stage with him, but he would be close enough to be there if that situation came up. After hugging him again as tightly as possible one last time, he took the steps required to get on stage. Cheering surrounded him completely. If it was possible, he could have been swept away by it, but that luckily wasn’t the case. He waved to the fans all sitting in the seats, there to see him and hear what he had to say about his secret, and took his seat on stage.

There were quite a few reasons why he had chosen to do what he was going to do on Ellen, of all shows.

Firstly, she was more open-minded than most hosts. Second, Miley had done the same thing he was about to do on her show already and everything had gone incredibly well. She was more open about it than he was, true, but he was going to get his point across all the same. He glanced at Liam one last time and gave him a nervous smile before looking away, ready to get it all over with.

From being on the show before, he knew what to expect already. They talked about the band first and started off easy before they slipped into the subject of Liam. Zayn ended up blushing more than he thought he would as he talked about some of the things they did as a couple and how things had changed since they came together, but not once did he feel uncomfortable. It seemed like it was going to be a simple, normal interview until halfway through, when three other boys suddenly attempted to sneak in through the side door. Niall tripped before they could even get to their seats and cursed loudly, only attracting further attention from the audience. Zayn turned his head and raised his eyebrows in amusement.