Chapter Ten

Guys. So much snow. I also don't know how old Lux really is at the moment, but she's two here. (:

“Zayn? Can I talk to you about something?”

Zayn frowned, looking up and hugging Pounce tighter. “Mhmm…”

It had been a few days since Liam had talked to Lou, and because it was already Saturday morning, he figured that he better go ahead and tell Zayn what they were going to be doing all day. He looked over at the other lad with a small smile, chuckling as he held out his now empty sippy cup. He took it and stood to fill it back up with milk like before. He did so silently, not speaking until he began screwing the top back onto the cup. “How would you feel if Lux came over today?”

He stayed quiet for a few moments, taking the cup when it was handed back to him. After taking a sip, he grinned brightly. “Yes!”

Well, that was easy.

Liam cleaned up while Zayn watched cartons in the living room, now wearing a pair of sweatpants just in case Lou decided to show up early. She would be there about eleven, giving them plenty of time to relax and spend some well-deserved time together before Lux arrived. The second Liam sat down, Zayn was curling up into his side and setting his head on his chest. He didn’t look away from the TV, but he got comfortable and smiled as Liam’s arm wrapped around him, holding him in place. The warm feeling that was so familiar by then filled both of them. A soft giggle escaped Zayn’s lips as he cuddled Pounce between them, and his eyes slowly flickered up to look at Liam’s, filled with nothing but happiness. “I like this show.”

“You do?” He mused, reaching down to kiss his forehead. He had no idea what it was; something with a bunch of dancing colors didn’t exactly interest him.

Zayn nodded in agreement. He clutched Liam’s shirt with genle fingers and had just started to close his eyes when he heard a knock on the door. He gasped and let out an excited squeak, quickly sitting up and shoving Pounce under the blanket where it couldn’t be seen. Reluctantly, he allowed Liam to move forward and open the door, but he stayed close behind nevertheless. The second he saw Lou he took Lux from her arms. “Hi there!”

“Zin!” Lux squealed, jumping up and down in his arms. She turned her head to Liam, growing even more excited. “Li!”

“Hey kiddo!” Zayn laughed, balancing her on his hip and making a silly face at her. She giggled at him. With a smile, Liam looked over to Lou and closed the door, immediately striking some kind of conversation about Lux and the things she had done recently, what she was beginning to like or hate, and things that they made need to worry about if they saw certain signs. It was the same lecture as always. Zayn would split them up and tell Lou they knew how to take care of her – she was their niece after all – and Lou would smile and playfully swat his bum before waving and leaving. That didn’t happen. With the risk of Lou finding out about his nappy, he brought Lux into the living room and grabbed her bag of toys, which was provided by Lou, of course. It was simple but effective. Not even ten minutes later, Liam returned and sat on the floor with them, watching Lux grab a few blocks and start to build.

Without realizing it, Liam’s arm had snaked itself around Zayn’s waist, gently resting on his hip. Zayn didn’t even notice until he reached over to grab another block. “What’d Lou say?” He asked curiously, setting it on top of the stack Lux had already created. Unsurprisingly, the tower fell, but Lux just giggled and started all over.

Liam pressed a kiss to his cheek. “Nothing much. She’ll be back around six, unless we call her before then.”

Zayn made a face. “When have we ever called her before she got here?”