Chapter Twenty-One

THIS IS THE LAST BORING CHAPTER I SWEAR, PLEASE BARE WITH ME. THE NEXT ONE WILL BE ALL LITTLE ZAYN OKAY? I'M SORRY.

The concert the night before had gone wonderfully, and if you asked Liam, he would have said that it was probably one of the busiest nights they had had on the new tour. He was exhausted, clearly, so when he slept in longer than usual, it wasn’t a surprise to anyone except for Zayn. He had gone to sleep rather early, so when nine in the morning rolled around, he was wide awake and silently willing Liam to get up as well. It didn’t work, but he had to get some kind of points for trying, didn’t he?

As it turned out, Liam slept past eleven, and the only reason he woke up then was because he heard happy footsteps and giggles coming from the kitchen. He woke up lazily, rubbing at his eyes before letting them close again for a moment. Someone had pulled the curtains back from the windows, and as it turned out, the light was hitting him right in the face. He huffed lightly, turning his back to the light and burying his face in the pillow once more. It didn’t help much, considering he was already wide awake, but it was a feeble attempt at relaxing, if only for a few moments longer.

There was some more whispering from the kitchen that he couldn’t focus on, so he tried to block out the voices by pulling the pillow over his head. Even so, he couldn’t escape the unmistakable feeling of someone else getting onto the bed, crawling closer and closer until they were right beside him. He shifted a little in his half-awake state, feeling sleep just begin to take over him again when fingers ran over his stubble, causing a shiver to go down his spine. After a few seconds of realizing his slumber wasn’t going to be gained back, he allowed his eyes to slowly flutter open, his eyes immediately meeting another pair of bright brown ones. In the kind of bright natural lighting, they almost looked golden, but he knew that they were the same soft brown he was used to falling asleep and waking up to every night and every morning.

“Daddy?” Zayn asked, smiling and laying down on his side next to him. He received a yawn and a nod in return, and, giggling, Zayn kissed the spot where his fingers had previously been. “You gotta wake up.”

“It’s too early.” Liam disagreed. He wrapped an arm around Zayn to pull him closer, sighing at the heat that the smaller boy gave off. This was much better than standing outside in the cold, early spring air while they wait for whatever Management has planned. He couldn’t even remember what they were supposed to be doing for the day, but he honestly hoped that it was nothing too major. They already had a concert every other night, yet they were still packed with things to do on the days they should have off. Only a select number of people would understand how exhausted they could actually be after a long day.

Zayn, filled to the brim with sugar and caffeine for the second day in a row, squeezed out of his arms and sat back on his knees, looking over him with a pout. “You have to get up.”

“Why?”

“Because I’ll kick your ass if you don’t.” Niall playfully threatened, leaning up against the wall. Zayn turned to give him a look, and he made a silly face at him. “Right, naughty words. Don’t repeat that.”

Liam covered his eyes with his arms, crossing them over his face in a feeble attempt to keep light out. “Why are you corrupting my baby this early in the morning?”

“Mate, it’s almost afternoon,” Niall chortled, watching as Liam threw his arms off of his face to look at the clock. By that time, it was almost half past eleven, and in the back of his mind he could distantly remember something being scheduled for that day. They definitely weren’t having another free day. Niall wandered back over to Zayn, kissing his forehead and running his fingers through his hair. “I got him ready so we wouldn’t be later than we already are, and we both ate, so it’s really just you being lazy today.”