Chapter 11: delivery

Start from the beginning

I really think that I am the caretaker of our house since Scar is always out of the country.

"A penny for your thought?" I was disturb when Someone talk.

"What penny?? You need a penny Gideon sir?"

"No. You are spacing out a lot Ella. Is there a problem? Does the food in the cafeteria really bothers you? I told you we can solve your problem in just one call."

"No. No. If you don't mind me asking is there a nearby library in this city?"

Gideon is looking at me like I've grown another head. "Why?"

"Well I've figured out that I will research first the food that I will order so that I know what will I expect if I eat it. No disappointment in the end."

"Ella there is a computer on the mail room you can use that for your research or you can use your phone to search for the foods that you like. You don't need to go to the library."

Computer? Phone? I don't know how to use those things. How can I explain it to him without looking like an idiot?
"The thing is I don't know how to use those things."

"You're joking right?? If you don't know how to use a computer then who inputs all the documents that you are recieving in our software?"

I look at Gideon and he is patiently waiting for my answer.

"Mark is the one who is doing all the computer stuff. I am really just the one who ditributes the documents."

"And for the phone? How come you don't know how to use a phone?" He ask me.

"For my entire life I don't own any phone because I don't need it and I can not afford it. So yeah.. but I can use the telephone if it makes you feel better" I smile at him hoping he will let go of this topic. Frankly it is quite embarassing for him to know how illiterate I am in modern day Technology but what can I do? My situation in life is the cause of this.

Gideon is staring at me while his hand is rubbing on his jaw. I know that he is plotting something. That gesture is a universal sign that someone is thinking.

"All right. The company will provide you a phone and Ask Mark to teach you the basic stuff about computers or would you rather like for me to teach you all those stuff?"

My heart is pounding like crazy! Internally I want to say "Heck yes!! Teach me baby!" But really I embarass myself infront of him almost everyday that it will last for a lifetime I don't want to add more.

"No. No. Its all right. The company doesn't need me to provide a phone really. I don't need it and we have a good working landline on our house. And thank you for the offer sir. I mean Gideon but I'll just buy books in the bookstore nearby on how to use a computer."

"It is no bother and Ella Cellphones are important. If there is an emergency you can contact someone easily." He tells me exasperatedly.

"Really sir. No need to trouble you in my precadiment. I've been doing fine without any cellphone."

"Fine." He opens his laptop and types something and then after 5 min I hear his printer printing something. He cuts the Paper and give me a small paper with something written on it.
"Put this card on your ID just in case there is an emergency. You can call that number if you need something."

I look at the card and there is a number written on it and the statement above is "Call if there is an emergency"

"Thank you sir. If you don't mind I'll be going now because it is past 5 and this is not overtime at all."

I am still looking the card while walking to his office door (I hope) when suddenly his door opened and the delivery guy is holding a paper bag again.

He give it to Gideon and bows then went out.

Why is he bowing? Is it costumary? Maybe I should do it because almost all of them are bowing to him. Gideon thinks now that I am disrespectful because I am not bowing whenever I went to his office. My pondering moment is interrupted again when Gideon is infront of me and giving me the paper bag the guy just deliver.

As he hands me the bag he told me
"I hope this satisfy your expectation. Be safe Ella"then he winks at me.

He walks back in his office chair casually as if nothing happens and without even knowing what his wink is putting my heart into overdrive.
I whispered a "Thank you"

And walked out of his office. I did not even know that I'm in the mail room already and going out of the building and walking to the subway. That's how dazed and affected I am from his wink.

Damn it. What. a. day.