Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

My words had drowned in the back of my throat, as I stared into his solemn brown eyes, trying to find meaning in his speech.

His arms gripped my shoulders, pushing me further against his chest- his lavender scent, swirling around me like a poisonous smoke.

"Prove it," I whispered.

James's gaze faltered- his brows furrowed in confusion.

"How?" he asked.

I tilted my chin, my mouth set in a stern line.

"Figure it out."

He looked past me, as though calculating what I meant, before shooting me a light smile. His hands left my shoulder, and without another word, he turned, taking long strides out of the dark forest.

I blinked at his back, not sure whether he had just rejected what I said, or if he was planning to actually "prove it".

So, I followed.

**

Upon entering the carnival, my eyes looked past the crowd of people rushing towards a tall, circular cage about twenty feet ahead. They talked excitedly, some people pushing past me, excusing themselves politely, as I gaped at their backs, not quite registering what was happening.

I had lost James a few minutes ago, when he rushed through the crowd, leaving me stranded in the midst of the area.

What was he up to?

"I'm so sorry!" April's voice chirped from behind, as she threw her arms over my back, squeezing tightly. "I swear, he made me not tell you! He said it was part of his plan to get you back, and that he'd tell you eventually! I just wanted you two to be happy, because he really does love you, and—"

I sighed, wrapping my hands over hers- detangling them from my throat. Slowly, I turned, staring blankly at her.

"It's not OK, April," I said. "I wouldn't ever hide anything from you—"

"I know, I know!" she said. "But, I literally had no choice! You have to believe me, you just have to—"

"I believe you. I'm just...surprised. I need time to be okay again. You understand, don't you? And...I didn't mean what I said. You aren't a fake friend. You've been good to me."

She smiled from cheek to cheek, her ocean blue eyes lighting up in such a way, the stars would fade next to the glint of her irises.

"You're not mad at me anymore?" she asked.

I hesitated. "I kind of still am. But not as much as before."

The sounds of shuffling feet neared, as I turned my head to the side, staring curiously at Aunt Molly. There was a steely look in her eyes, as she rushed towards me- her ruby red locks flying over her back like a cape.

"Are you alright?" I asked her. "What's wrong?—"

"Has James lost his damn mind?" she snapped. "I was in the committee stage, handling over some important things, when from the corner of my eye, I see your foolish husband signing up for that game! Oh, what was it called? The sinner? No, no, it's called the spinner! He's preparing to get on that motorbike and break who knows how many bones—"

"Please tell me you're joking." My voice was rushed- my heart speeding a mile a minute.

"I've never told a joke in my life!" Aunt Molly snapped. "Now, go and get him off that thing—"

"Whoa," said April. "James has got some serious guts--"

"He's an idiot!" I shouted.

Heads turned towards me, eyeing me speculatively. Ignoring their stares, I ran around the crowd, the cool wind brushing past my pony tail, as I searched desperately for James. My eyes circled the area, before spotting the large, circular cage resting at the end of the carnival.