Chapter Sixteen

The saxophone blared through the juke box, as the singer's husky voice danced along the walls of Richard's small apartment, circling around us like a soft summer's wind. His arm pressed lightly against my back, his other hand curved over mine in the air, in a waltz like position. I glanced at his hand that held mine, feeling it shake just slightly, as he licked his bottom lips- an apprehensive glint resting over his eyes. He breathed deeply- his Adams apple rising and falling, as he stared at me, waiting for my answer.

"I'm your sister in law." I spoke softly. "This isn't...this isn't appropriate."

I took a step back, slipping my hand out of his, and preparing to walk around him. The warmth had left the room, and in its place, was a cold silence. My heart felt heavy, and for some reason, I felt a bit bad for rejecting him. I gave him a stiff smile, hoping that I didn't hurt his feelings too deeply.

As I walked around him, I could feel his gaze piercing through my back, burning into my chest. Crouching down, I grabbed my black purse from the clothing rack by the door, looping the strap over my shoulder. The hem of my navy skirt, brushed against my knees, as I twisted the knob- icy against my palm.

"Don't go." Richard's hand curved over mine on the knob- his lean form pressed against my side. "Please...don't go."

I stared at his pale hand that rested like a boulder over my skin, squeezing so hard, that my palm began to sting over the knob. My eyes turned to his, narrowing dangerously.

"I have to," I insisted. "Richard...I don't know what you're doing right now, and I have no idea what you mean, or what you're trying to say, but it's making me uncomfortable. If this is some sort of game you're trying to play then please...just stop. I don't want to hate you--"

His eyes widened, as he stared at me with a look of desperate longing. Before I could react, his long, muscular arms wrapped over me, thrusting me violently against his chest, into an unwanted hug. My chest pressed into his, as I felt the beats of his heart thump erratically against mine.

"Hey, get off!" I snapped, punching his back with a fierce might. "You're crossing a line—"

He exhaled a deep sigh. "What the hell, Dorothy...What the hell are doing to me?"

"Richard, I'm warning you. I have a black belt, and I really don't want to beat the living crap out of you—"

His hold on me tightened, as I inhaled a deep breath, prepared to knee him in the groin. I bit my lip, a rush of guilt seeping through me, as I twisted my leg around his, ready to trip him to the ground. He held me tighter against his chest, his head resting over my shoulder, so that I could not see the expressions lingering over his deep brown eyes.

"Alright," I whispered. "I warned you."

He must have been in another world, for he didn't respond, but just stood there, hugging me fiercely. With his guard down, I twisted my leg around his ankle hard, and instead of pushing out of his grip, I fell to the ground, straight into his arms.

Oh, great. Just great.

He blinked at me- then slowly, a smile crept across his full lips. There was a dimple against his cheek, it was very slight, and I found myself staring at it, before shaking my head. This was not the time to be observing dimples. I rested on top of him, discomfort flushing through me, as he continued to gaze at me with a deep longing cloaked in his eyes.