Chapter Twenty Three

The midnight gust from my open window, swirled over us, as I exhaled a deep breath- staring worriedly at him. The deep longing in his chocolate eyes, danced along the angles of my face, before stopping, for a moment, on my lips.

I gaped up at him, my head dipped against the white cotton pillow- watching as his hand slowly made its way to my mouth. His Adams apple rose, as his thumb gently brushed across my bottom lip- his eyes taking on a faraway look, as if lost in a memory.

The light from the room, streaked over his solemn face, glimmering over his eyes, which I could tell, were searching for another. He no longer saw me, for the stars in his gaze, were shining with a kind of melancholy, which could belong only to the broken hearted.

While he hovered over me, I felt his knees shake on either side of me, as though ready to collapse. Water glazed over his lids, as he placed both palms against my face, staring at me as though he'd known me all his life.

I gasped at the shock of his flesh against mine.

"Why did you do it?" His voice broke, as a tear slipped past his cheek, soaking into his throat.

I frowned, my brows wrinkled together, as I tried to comprehend his question.

"Do what?" I asked.

My chest heaved, as his eyes glowered in anger. Richard's jaw clenched tightly, as he slammed a fist against the bed, causing me to jump.

"Richard, what's wrong?" I spoke slowly, keeping my gaze on his.

He looked to the side, running a hand over his thick brown tresses, before glaring at me once more.

I tried to slip out of the bed, wanting to keep a safe distance, for the look in his eyes read murder. While I attempted to adjust myself up, he pressed both hands against my face, giving them a gentle squeeze.

Almost lovingly.

What the hell was going on?

"Talk to me," I snapped. "You're acting weird and it's freaking me out—"

He groaned loudly, dipping his face so close to mine, we were only a centimeter apart. My heart stopped, as his cool breath fanned into my nose.

"Don't lie to me," he said, his eyes burning into mine. "Don't fucking lie to me—"

"I never lied to you!" I said. "And let go of me!"

He shook his head, staring at me like a mad man, as I pressed my hands against his chest, trying with all my might to push him off.

But he wouldn't budge.

"Did you eat nails for breakfast?" I snapped. "Why the hell are you so strong? Get off—"

His hands found my wrists, pinning them above my head. I would have kneed him in the crotch, had his legs not twisted over mine, keeping me in place.

I was caged.

"You told me you were going to Jenna's place that day." His voice took on a dangerous edge- his lips barely touching mine, as he gazed painfully at me.

"What?" I began. "You're insane!—"

"You were supposed to be only mine," he hissed. "I loved you...I really did."

I stopped squirming, staring at him in confusion, as his hands on my wrists tightened. His eyes searched my face for an answer to a question I never asked, to an action I never made, and I began to worry whether he recognized me at all, for he was drenched in another world.