Chapter Twenty Four

My bare feet clenched against the soft woolen carpet- the beats of my heart beginning to thunder within my chest, as I gaped at Charlene. Her emerald eyes held a cheerful glow, as her thin lips spread into an eager smile.

"Come on!" she urged, rushing towards me.

I took a step back, almost tripping, as Charlene's small palm curled over my wrist, dragging me out of the room. I glanced nervously at April, who gave me a comforting nod, as she walked out of the room, down the narrow hallway. April strode slowly, her narrow hips slightly swaying, as the lavender of her pony tail, swung like a pendulum. I gaped at her back, wanting her to say something, anything, to stop me from seeing the man that had ripped my heart out. I wasn't ready to see him.

At least, I thought I wasn't.

"Charlene, wait," I said. "Are you sure Rich...I mean, James is downstairs? In a car, you said?—"

"No, not a car, silly. A limo. A great, white, limo!" she exclaimed. "Quit asking questions and just come with me!"

But I didn't want to go with her. I didn't want to go anywhere that meant seeing him again. But then, there was a small part, resting deep within the pits of my soul that was curious to see what he had to say.

"Dory." April's voice startled my musings, as I shook, flipping my head towards her.

She stood by the stairs at the end of the hall, staring passively at me, though from the worry glazed over her ocean blue eyes, I could almost read what she was thinking.

Don't be a coward, she said. Confront him.

"You're right." My voice escaped in a whisper as I stared from Charlene to April, exhaling a sharp breath.

"Huh?" asked Charlene. "What's right? Who's right? What are you saying?"

She blinked her large almond eyes at me, tilting her head- confused. Her fingers fiddled over the ends of her braid, as she placed another hand on her hip- her mint green top appearing vibrant against the light of the room.

"It's nothing," I muttered. "Let's go downstairs...I think Mr. James and I need to have a little talk."

Charlene beamed, her small lips widening to a happy smile, as she tugged me by the wrist out of the room, and down the hall. While we trudged down the steps, I could feel the blood in my veins begin to simmer, as James's mischievous eyes fogged over my mind.

As we descended the stairs, my thoughts wandered on the idea that James was always used to being the hero of his story. In his world of glamor, he'd always been the main lead, defeating all odds to get the Cinderella like girl. Unfortunately for him, I was no Cinderella, whose kindness could forgive even the coldest of hearts.

While Charlene, April, and I, walked through the living room, heading towards the front door, a simple thought occurred to me. In the few seconds before my warm hand curled over the knob, my mind sped a mile a minute. In the millisecond before I opened the door, allowing the sunshine to splash over my cheeks- I came to the conclusion that James Bellevue was a cruel, heartless, selfish, spoiled brat, who didn't deserve anybody.

And he sure as hell didn't deserve me.

**

Charlene was wrong, for James didn't appear in a great white limo. No, that would be an understatement.

I stood on the steps before my door- the humid wind whisking past my neck, my eyes roaming over the beast of a limo that James leaned against. The sun soaked against the white coat of the car, giving it a milky shine, as the large, silver rims, glimmered against the pavement, putting my bland suburban street to shame.