Chapter Nine

I gaped at my stunned reflection from his irises, which were a millimeter away from me, as he pressed me tightly against his stomach. My chest rose and fell- the beats of my heart thumping erratically, as Richard's flaming gaze sizzled through my flesh.

I bit into his palm with a fierce might, and he yelped, releasing me from his iron grip. He took three steps back, shaking his palm in air-glaring.

"You don't get to touch me," I hissed. "I didn't do anything to deserve that! I'll stay out of your way, don't worry about that. I don't know how anyone would want to be near a monster like you!"

He shot me a bitter smile, and placed his hands in the pockets of his black trousers. His grey dress shirt was wrinkled at the chest, and I vaguely wondered whether it was because of our close proximity from moments ago.

I shook my head, not wanting to dwell on that.

"I'm not buying the act," he said. "Something's up between you and James, and it sure as hell isn't this great love story you two are trying to convince the idiots in this house—"

I scoffed. "Think what you like. It doesn't matter to me. Bye."

As I turned, clicking my heels out the room, I couldn't help but hate his perceptiveness. It was only the second day since I'd met him, and already he'd figured out that something was wrong with mine and James's "marriage". If he spilled the truth to his Grandfather, then James would get cut off, which would mean that our marriage plan would fail, ultimately resulting in the demise of Rosefield shelter.

My head throbbed.

The following morning was the first day of summer classes at Arlington University, and also my final semester. I had only one class to complete in order to graduate, and I was told by a fellow classmate, that the Professor is an odd ball.

Walking through the double doors of the classroom, which was set in an auditorium, I watched the other students settle in a circle at the center of the stage. Large velvet curtains rested against either side of the stage, as I went up the steps, taking a seat at the corner of the circle. Most of the students were mingling amongst each other, but the rest were either staring at their phones or staring into space.

I was so grateful that no one recognized me. I guess no one read the gossip column in newspapers anymore.

As I breathed a sigh of relief, a girl sitting across from me, in the other side of the circle, stared quizzically at me. Her long, sunny blonde locks were tied in a high pony tail, as the light of the room, illuminated her pinkish complexion. Her plump lips were glossed with red, matching her red crop top which revealed an outie belly button. Her black leggings were so tight, they looked painted on her curvy frame, and I wondered whether she was cold. The air conditioning was so high in the room, that I had buttoned my white cardigan up to my neck.

My brows rose, as she stood, skipping over to me- taking the seat next to mine. I gave her a curt nod- smiling.

"You're Dorothy Web, right?" she whispered excitedly, as though my name were a secret.

I nodded. "That's me. But, how did you know?—"

She clapped her hands like a seal, her bright green eyes- shining.

"I knew it," she said. "This is going to sound totally nosy, but I have got to know. You're like seriously married to James Bellevue? Like...THE James Bellevue?"