Chapter Two

The last time I’d been kissed by a man, was from my father, a few days before he and mom had passed. He had placed a light peck on my cheek, and promised that he’d come see me perform as Juliet in the school play. I was ten, and at that time, he was my world. But twelve years had passed without him, and in those years, I’d learned to keep myself distant from others. I had a few friends, but no one so close that I’d let them touch me. What I hated more than anything, was being touched, for it sent me memories of the parents I could no longer hug, or kiss, or lay my head on their warm lap.

            I had built a cool brick wall between me and everyone else, and not a single person had come close to breaking that barrier. Yet, in a second, this stranger, this rude, egotistical, wealthy stranger, decided it was ok to break my rule.

            I breathed evenly, as the light spring wind blew between us, sending chills from my neck to my toes. A lump rested within my chest, as my eyes slowly rose to meet his golden brown stare. His smile was so easy going, as if he hadn’t a care in the world. The wind blew through the soft brown of his locks, as his silver shirt swayed gently along the gust. My tangerine like hair rested in a ponytail over my shoulder, as I continued to stare at him, not believing that he had kissed me.

            Anger rose within my chest, simmering like volcanic lava, as my hand rose to meet his cheek, leaving a cold, resounding, slap.

            I had never hit anyone before, and I stared at my palm for a moment, as it shook in the air, hot from the blast. Placing my hand at my side, my face began to heat, as tears engulfed my eyes. I didn’t know why I was reacting so strongly to his light kiss, but all I knew, was that it hurt. His eyes were like my mothers, and his smile was as warm as dad’s, and the more I looked at him, the more I was reminded of the home I no longer had.

            “Don’t touch me,” I hissed, staring at his shoulder, unable to meet his eyes. “I know who you are. You’re the son of the President of the hotel where I work at. The other maids talked a lot about you. I’m probably going to get fired now. But I’m not sorry. You don’t even know me, so you can’t touch me and play with me however well you please! I’m not some naïve girl that’s going to be swept off her feet by the likes of you! I don’t know how you know my name, or what you want with me, but I do not want to see you again. I’ll hand in my resignation tomorrow—“

            The harsh sound of his laughter broke through our silence, as my gaze rose to meet his. There was that light, easy going stare of his- a smile graced over his nude lips.

            “Oh, God, you’re dramatic,” he laughed. “Let me tell you something, Princess. I’ve been slapped so many times, you would not believe it. Just this morning, some girl I didn’t remember from last night, got all offended when I asked her what the hell she was doing in my bed, naked no less. And you know what she did? She slapped me, but it wasn’t a good one. She was a bit scrawny, like you, but her palm had no power in it. Your slap, on the other hand, definitely beats hers, but not the girl from last week. Now, look here. That last week chick slapped me so hard, I had to visit the dentist right after. It was a mess. Your slap, it was a bit of an in between. Your hand is soft as well, and I swear I smelled strawberry lotion, so it wasn’t so bad—“

            I shook my head.

            “Are you…are you teasing me?” I placed a hand on my hip, tilting my head, and giving him an incredulous stare.