Chapter Fourteen

It had taken me a couple minutes to convince him that the food at the gyro stand, would not, in any way, kill us.

The evening sun had dipped to a deep red, as the moon lay full over the purple sky- navy clouds overlooking the rich horizon. James and I stood behind a tall, elegant woman, dressed in a grey business suit. Her dreadlocks were tied with a crystal band at the back, as the winds swayed her soft black hair along her curvy waist.

"You gonna order, lady?"

I snapped my head to James, who yawned lazily- a hand covering his mouth. I glared at him, but he merely shrugged, running a hand through the silk of his hair.

"Excuse me?" the woman snapped. "I'm still deciding—"

James scoffed. "There are more people on the line! You've been deciding for the past eight minutes—"

I clenched my hand against the sides of my white dress, prepared to snap at him for his rude behavior, but then stopped when five people behind us, agreed. A middle aged, fine haired man behind James- shook his head, nodding in approval. A woman behind the man- pursed her lips, smiling, as though happy that someone had told off the lady who was apparently taking too much time to order.

"The young man is right," said an elderly woman, standing at the back of the line. "It's been almost ten minutes, dear. We're all hungry—"

"I can't believe this," the dreadlocked woman said. "You're all ridiculous...honestly! Alright well...um...I'd like the chicken over rice with a pinch of white sauce, but only a pinch. And maybe some barbecue over that as well—"

"It's on me," said James.

The woman tilted her chin, a light smile hitting her soft, red lips.

"Really?" she asked.

I frowned. I didn't like the look she was giving him.

James shot her a sly grin, walked around me, and took out a brown leather wallet from his side pocket. His brown bangs tossed in the wind, making him appear almost boyish, as he handed six dollars to the man inside the cart.

My teeth clenched, as I saw him smile at her once more in that charming way of his, grabbing her bag of food from the gyro man, and handing it to her. Her deep brown skin, flushed- her lips parting to a flirtatious smile.

Her long fingers trickled over his knuckles as she took the bag of food from his hand, slinking it over her wrist.

I glared at her wrist.

When she walked away, James quickly made our order, and the people behind us, exhaled a breath of relief, thanking him for getting her to leave. We gave them our goodbye, but as we walked towards a small round table at the farther end of the street, I felt a burning sensation simmer through my chest.

We arrived at the circular metal table, sitting across from each other. I took out the food from the bag, slamming it on the table, breathing hard. Well, I didn't really slam it, but I intended to. Grabbing the fork, I took my plastic box of lamb over rice, opening it. The scent of hot, spicy, rice swirled under my nostrils, as I stabbed my fork within the meat.

"Unbelievable," said James, taking a bite from his box. "She took ten minutes to decide on an order! What a woman. She had nice legs at least—"

"Can we just eat?" I snapped, swallowing my food. "It's been a long day, so we should eat, go home, and then sleep—"

He laughed. "What's up with you? That time of the month?"

I gripped my fork, staring intently at my box of rice- then lifted my eyes slowly to meet his.