Chapter Twenty Six

My mind travelled a mile a minute, as I gaped at Stacy, who stood before the open door, smiling artificially at me. The last I'd seen her was during Mr. Bukowsky's class a few days ago, though it felt a lot longer.

James's palm squeezed against mine, but I was too distracted by Stacy's presence to turn my head towards him.

"Dorothy? Is that you? No way, you got so tan!" Her voice chirped through the room, barricading into my mind, but for some reason, I couldn't focus.

I gripped my hand tighter around James', as her words echoed in my head like a broken stereo. I could feel James's body stiffen, his head turning towards me, though I kept my focus solely on Stacy.

There was something not right about her.

"I will ruin James Bellevue, if it's the last thing I do." Those were her final words to me that day I found out her true colors. Though I wasn't one to be scared of drama queens like her, there was something about the way she was looking from me to James that had me worried.

Had she come all the way to Sandsville to enact some sort of revenge plot against James? Though her face held a childlike innocent, it was her sky blue eyes that gave away her wickedness.

SNAP!

A familiar hand snapped before my eyes, and I yelped, breathing deeply. Aunt Molly's bright green stare met mine, as she gave my shoulder a slight shake.

"You lost in space, darling'?" she asked. "Looks like you've seen a ghost!"

"Yeah, are you alright?" James asked.

I shook my head. "I'm...um...I'm fine. Hi, Stacy. I didn't expect you here."

The hem of her sundress, the same shade as the drowning sunset, blew against the light wind, as she took a step towards the room. Grandma and Grandpa returned her smile, allowing her to enter, as Aunt Lucy eyed her speculatively. Uncle Jeffrey held Charlene's small hand, before giving me a curious look, to which I merely shrug.

"Well, the best things are always unexpected aren't they?" Stacy giggled, twirling a thick blond strand over her shoulder. "You know, it's such a small world, because my Uncle lives around here, and I thought it would be quite a different spring break experience for me if I partake in the carnival. I'm so excited! And I can't wait for you to join the game I've got planned—"

"What game?" I asked- my eyes narrowed.

She giggled once more as though I'd said something silly, before unzipping her shoulder bag and handing me a flyer.

"Take a look," she said. "I wrote it myself. I even designed the game myself! Aren't I such a creative bunny?"

I frowned, before looking over the paper, which was scented with a strawberry smell so strong it stung the tip of my nose.

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IF TAKES TO CHALLENGE THE SPINNER? THIS MOTORCYCLE MACHINE WILL SPIN YOU AROUND THE 100% SAFE MEGA WHEEL.

LINE UP, SIGN UP, AND JOIN THE FUN!

PRIZE: $5,000.

RULES: RIDE THE MOTOR BIKE AROUND THE CAGE FOR FIVE MINUTES, AND WIN.

DISCLAIMER: All persons participating in The Spinner hereby agree to the risk involved, which, possibly, may be fatal. Stacy Kendrick is not responsible for any damages, injuries (physical or psychological), incurring within this game. The participant whole heartedly agrees to any consequential risk involved with this stunt.